Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
My cat isn't urinating!
dandy_lion posted:
I took my cat to the vet this afternoon since he was having trouble urinating - only a small amount would come out. They eliminated him and gave him antibiotics. They also took blood and urine samples for tests. He just woke up a half hour ago and has been trying to urinate but nothing is coming out. What do I need to do for him? Is it normal for him not to be able to urinate after they've eliminated him?

ShivaChi responded:
If he has drank at all since the vet visit, it's not at all normal for him not to be able to pee. If he hadn't drank anything yet, see what happens today. If he still can't go today, call your vet and ask them what you should do as it's not healthly for him not to be able to go. They really should have told you something or given you some drug(if they make any) to help him go until they could figure out what the problem is. Good luck. Hope they figure out what's wrong with him soon so they can get him fixed up.

Drew_Weigner_DVM_ABVP responded:
It sounds like your cat has cystitis, an inflammation of the bladder. This can have many causes but the one most worrisome is if he has "crystals" which are really tiny bladder stones. This is the cause of most urinary blockages in male cats. All the other causes can have the same symptoms, but they won't cause a blockage. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to tell and it's very important as a cat with a urinary blockage can die in the course of a day or two if it's not treated promptly. If your cat doesn't have a blockage, your veterinarian can prescribe a medication to decrease the straining to make him more comfortable. In the long term, your veterinarian may prescribe a special diet so this doesn't recur. By the way, I hope they didn't eliminate him. He sounds like a very nice cat! Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP The Cat Doctor Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections