Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Orange/Yellow Stool! Should I be worried?
midestflwr posted:
My teacup maltese on occasion has this bright orange and yellow bowel movement. For example, today when i walked her in the morning, the first BM was orange in color and this evening on our walk her BM was yellowish. Should I be concerned about her liver and gall bladder function?

Thank you for any help you can give for peace of mind...

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
Dear Midestflwr,
From your question, I surmise that your Maltese has had some liver/gall bladder issues in the past or at least you have some familiarity with these condition. Unless your dog is eating play dough or some food material that is bright orange and yellow, I would strongly suggest that you take your pet to your veterinarian for a thorough examination. Take a stool sample with you so your vet can see the color. Stool doesn't have to be brown all the time. It can change color slightly depending on what the pet has been eating but bright color changes just aren't normal.

Your veterinarian may need to run some blood and urine tests. I am wondering, is the urine bright yellow or orange? How is your pet feeling otherwise? It your teacup drinking an increased amount of water? These are all questions you should ask yourself before seeing your veterinarian and relay to him/her in case it is not asked of you. Please make an appointment ASAP.

Best of luck...
Dr. Bernadine

midestflwr replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
Dear Dr. Bernadine,
Thank you so much for your response.I am in the Medical field and figured that my maltese's anatomy and physiology isn't too far off from ours, so I deduced that the gall bladder and/or liver might be organs to start looking at. This combined with the fact that a few years back I noticed that Chloe (my maltese) was starring a lot towards the ceiling in the evenings and so my vet suggested that her liver probably had abnormal vasculature (without ct or other forms of tests to prove) and put her on a suppliment for life (which is having very little if any affect on her starring issues but is having a massive one on my pocket!)

Usually the drastic color Bm comes on for just one day and may come back the next week or so. Should I wait until I can get a sample of the color before attempting to make an appt again? My dog eats nothing but eukanuba lamb and rice Hill's science diet L/D for her liver issue.

Her urine is sometimes dark yellow when she doesn't drink alot of water but is normally a light canary yellow. Since the day she had those colorful Bm's she's been listless and has become very clingy. She had nothing to eat or drink for a little over a day but I tried my best to keep her hydrated with some water by syringe. When I called my vet to bring her in they informed me they were booked solid and that I should try boiling chicken and rice and if she ate any of that to just monitor her and bring her in if she still wasn't eating. Of course, Chloe loves chicken and had her fill of it.

My concern still remains about her Bm's that occurred earlier in the week. Even though the color has returned to brownish tinges, I know this won't be the last time I see these crazy colors in her stool! What should I do?

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections