Skip to content
    Financial Help With Vet Bills
    lorir posted:
    Please look into the credit plan called Care Credit. No interest payments and it is easy to quailify for. It will take the sick feeling away of not being able to give your pet the health care he/she needs. What if it were you and no one would fix your broken leg? My 9 month old chihuahua mix beoke her leg twice...first time over $1,000--splint with a pin. Second time was shortly after the cast came off and pin was removed. $2,500 for plate surgery. When you accept a pet into your life you are responsable to give it whatever care it needs not matter how much it hurts.
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful
    SharyMerman responded:
    It would be more humane if the Vets didn't charge like that, they don't have to, next time negotiate a price or it will keep going up.
    rohvannyn replied to SharyMerman's response:
    Believe it or not, vets aren't really making that huge a profit. Don't blame the vet so much. Blame the drug companies that keep charging exorbitant amounts, the malpractice insurance, the cost of the equipment, and most of all the massive government regulations (in the US anyway) that keep driving up the cost of everything from fuel to plastics to medication to equipment to wages.

    That is what causes them to charge so much for an office visit even when they don't do much, it's a little like a movie theater making all its money off the popcorn.

    Too big a discussion for here, but by all means, always make yoru feelings known (AT ALL LEVELS) and perhaps eventually we will see change.


    William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

    Helpful Tips

    I think I finally have an answer for my grass eating Sadie!
    I have a Bloodhound/Lab mix, she is about four years old now, for the last two years she has been doing this same thing and I am so happy ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    Learn more about the AVMA

    WebMD Special Sections