Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Metformin-non diabetic PCOS+
nic14120 posted:
Hi, So I posted recently discussing my fertility plan. It took 10 months for me to conceive my son, and now trying for my 2nd. I was not diagnosed with PCOS until after my son, but have a long history of cysts on my right ovary. I am also hypothyroid and my meds were just regulated (I hope), my period stopped in Dec, which has never happened before. But we are still trying despite the lack of period. I started provera last night to bring on my period. My OB wants me to start metformin and clomid cycle. I was doing a lot of reading up on clomid and feel nervous b/c if I do have a functioning left ovary that normal does not get cysts, I worry that I will overstimulate my ovaries, which can be dangerous. I am thinking of starting the metformin (hopefully I can tolerate it), but am wondering if there are a lot of women that are prescribed this that are NOT diabetic and NOT insulin resistant? It makes me nervous since my insulin levels were fine, but I do want to try it b/c I have read that it helps with ovulation.

Taylove11 responded:
Hi there,

Clomid and Metformin is becoming a standard for any woman with PCOS. I have read reports showing that even if a women isn't insulin resistant, the Met and Clomid is proven to have a higher success rate than Clomid alone.

I personally have abnormal PCOS. I do not have cysts on my ovaries, I am not diabetic, and I'm not insulin resistant. I was prescribed Clomid only. (I wasn't ovulating on my own). We did IUI because my husband had sperm issues also. We were able to conceive after 13 months of trying. With 3 cycles on Clomid.

I would highly recommend seeing a reproductive endocrinologist, if one is in your area. They are the true experts in the area of reproduction. They usually have more resources than a normal doctor or OB.

I really hope that this helps. If you are looking for more support, try going to TTC: 12 months, still trying exchange. Under the exchange directory, click on T. Scroll down until you see Trying to conceive. Those boards are usually moer active than this and have some really kind, helpful women. I hope you are able to acheive your dream soon. Best wishes!

Taryn

stacye300 replied to Taylove11's response:
yes i heard it work me myself I had ovarian Drilling and still no results

stacye300 replied to stacye300's response:
so Taylove 11

You had the Ovarian Surgery and nothing happened what is your next step. I take Metformin and on 3rd Round of Clomid. Hopefullly that will work.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Last January (2010) I was diagnosed with PCOS, and have been focusing on just making myself better all around. Hubby and I decided we want to have kid...More

Helpful Tips

!!!!!!!@Free@!!!!!!! Real Madrid vs Schalke 04 Live Streaming Soccer Online Champions League – .R.o.u.n.d. o.f. .16. H.D T.V
Are You Looking for exciting soccer? Looking for awesome soccer match with HD video on your pc and related others? Don't worry. It is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.