Skip to content
Metformin and PCOS
Excercise2Health posted:
When I was 16, (9 years ago), I was diagnosed with PCOS, I researched it, and I disagreed with my doctors, I didn't have cycts on my ovaries, and at that time my only symptom was irregular periods...meaning once or twice a year. They wanted to put me on birth control and I refused...my concern at that point was birth control would just make me gain more weight that I couldn't handle getting any heavier, and I wasn't sexually active so I didn't see the point. So none the less I didn't take anything and went on with my life. I always knew I would have some sort of problems getting pregnant since I dont have regular cycles. When I got married almost 2 years ago we did notthing to prevent, thought we would never put the pressure on and let it happen naturally. In January (2010), just a few months ago, I was put on Metformin (1500) to help regulate my cycles. I so far have had my period once, and it was for 4 weeks, the last week being the heaviest. I want to diet and excercise, but can't seem to get any energy. My doctor says to give at least 6 months before I am trying to figure out when im ovulating. I am hopeful that we will be able to concieve, just have friends that have been trying 2 and 3 times as long as we have and have done everything including invitro. Over the past week I have had what I always imagined morning sickness to be like...it lasts for 2 or 3 hours...goes away by 10:30 every morning...I only threw up one morning, the rest of the mornings just felt like I was going to.

Looking for positive support and suggestions.

I have hypothryoidism, no gullbladder, pcos, and migranes often. I am on medication for my migranes (nadlol), I am on Lythothyroxine (125), I am on Metformin.
  • 25 Female Wisconsin

ashdwhill1 responded:
I am in the same boat you are in. I am sick every morning after taking the metformin 1500 but I asked the nurse would I feel better she said yes. My doctor told me to control the sickness and the moving of bowels so frequently follow a low glycemic diet. He said that I will see better results. He is giving me two months to lose the weight. So trying walking for 20-30 minutes a day at a steady pace. Watch your startches, anything white, and eat more fruits and veggies. We will overcome this weight bearier. We have to continue to encourage eachother. Stay strong! God Bless

KCAimee replied to ashdwhill1's response:
When I was put on Metformin my RE had me start with 500 then move to 1000 then to 1500. This really helped. Once I made it to 1500 I was doing much better.

Jessi10909 responded:
I'm also on Metformin for PCOS. My doctor weaned me on in 500mg incriments, also, but I am currently on my full dose of 2000 mg. The medication makes me sick also, most often in the morning :( My doc warned me that stomach problems are a "normal" symptom with this medication, and one girl I work with also took Metformin for PCOS and it made her so sick that she had to stop taking it.
Just one more thing for us to deal with right? Now our medication is giving us false hope!! I'm right there with ya

OSUCOWGIRL01 responded:
I'm in almost the same boat...PCOS, on Metformin (1000 now, after the DR reduced me from 2000 due to CONSTANT vomiting), taking Levothyroxine, Imitrex for migranes. I have the same problems with 1-2 periods a year, and they always last mulitple weeks, being so heavy sometimes I have issues with passing out. It's awful. Being on 1000 is slightly better, but I still have passing nausea almost every day, and it randomly overtakes me.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was actually diagnosed with POSC in July 2010 after having put up with the symptoms for 7 years. I am currently in a serious relationship and have b...More

Helpful Tips

FReE## Ottawa Senators vs New York Rangers live stream nhl watch free ,..///watch HD tv online.
Watch Ottawa Senators vs New York Rangers live stream online Free HOCKEY Game Today. Don't miss Carolina Hurricanes vs Edmonton Oilers ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.