Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Upset & Scared
An_220494 posted:
I just found out that I have PCOS. The doctor was surprised to learn that I didn't know I have it. I would guess it developed in 2004/2005 when I started finding more hair in my brush, gaining weight with no change in diet or activity & gloominess. I wish all doctors would be more diligent and get rid of suspicion. I went to the ER twice due to a uti, I was in so much pain but no one except the nurse took it seriously. My primary doctor wouldn't even help me out. Anyways, I booked an appointment with my gynecologist. I had pain and was just uncomfortable. They decided to do a vaginal ultrasound and there they were. But yet, they refused to give me anything for the pain or even an antibiotic. "By the way, did you know you have PCOS? No? Oh well it's a good thing you're on the pill. -explains PCOS to me- When you're ready to get pregnant, we can give you injections to force egg production "

I got home after my appointment and called my sister in tears. It's been a stressful week. Thanks for letting me vent a bit.....if any of you have anything to share please feel free to reply.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

undecided2008 responded:
Anyone??

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_1157,

Your story points out something important. If you think that your doctors aren't listening to you or ignoring your complaints then it's time to seek a second opinion. You know your body better than anyone else. PCOS is a real medical condition and not one to be brushed off lightly.

Read more about PCOS by clicking on the links at the top of this board in the announcement area!

Take care!

- Annie

undecided2008 replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
I am going to make an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologyst(sp?) and am going to see about this other ob/gyn my friend goes to.

floridagirl4life responded:
I know exactly how u feel. I'm 26 years old and was told by my obgyn the same way you were. Really no information was giving to me about the syndrome itself, just that I have it and birthcontrol will help with the pain. In addition, my ob told me the only thing to fully resolve all my pain and problems is a hysterectomy. And that was it, he sent me on my way, tear pouring down my face. Of course, as soon as I got home I went to the internet for answers. The artical from this web site on PCOS scared me so badly. All the possible things that can, and most likely, will happen shocked me and made me think of my ob. He told me this PCOS thing like it was nothing, like I should be fine and not worried. However, knowing I have PCOS did nothing except worried me crazy. Even on my follow up, after an ultrasound, he did not give me anymore information. Doctors, i feel, sometimes forget they are dealing with a human being, a person, not just a body on a table.

I can, hopefully, give you some peace. I've been on birthcontrol five months now and have seen a decrease in pain. Also, I've been told I had PCOS my entire life. It just was missed for 25 years. And even though it took many years of trying, I have a two year old. Conceved naturally. I know not everyone is the same, but I hope this can ease your mind some. Don't give up.

undecided2008 replied to floridagirl4life's response:
Thank you floridagirl. I have been very emotional since I found out. I'm calming down though and thinking more clearly about our options for the future.

fiannakyn replied to undecided2008's response:
My sister told me she thought I had it on the day of my wedding. (she already had a dx for herself) I went to the Gyn the next month and was confirmed. I was told then (10 years ago) that I was already insulin resistant and would be diabetic before I turned 30. I started then to try to get it under control. I did the BCP route for less than a year and it didnt help me any so I just stayed on Metformin for several years. I am now 33 and not only am I not Diabetic, my IR is well controlled and has been for years. I have had to go on a blood pressure medicine this last month due to high blood pressure though.

I have had a few problems with cysts over the years, but not more than maybe one every few years.

IR is often found along with PCOS, ask your doc to check your blood sugar and insulin levels, you might benifit from metformin.

on the fertility front, I'm cursed so dont even think I am a typical case. of the IRL women I know with PCOS, I am the ONLY one without a child concived naturaly.(or unnaturaly either)
Vicky, Dx PCOS /IR in 2000 at age 23, on Metformin1500mg daily, 7th cycle on Clomid.

undecided2008 replied to fiannakyn's response:
So there is the possibility to get pregnant naturally? I haven't had a normal period in 5 years.

erinrw replied to undecided2008's response:
I got pregnant by accident with PCOS. I was told by my doctor that the reason why I got pregnant was due to the fact that I had lost a total of 50 lbs. It can happen. It just may not happen as soon as we would like. I have always been over weight. I am losing again so that I can hopefully get pregnant again with my husband. I hope that this helps you out.

fiannakyn replied to undecided2008's response:
yes, it is very possable. my sister has 3 naturaly. the first was 4 years after getting married, then the PCOS dx, then 10 years after the first, after many clomid rounds, and IUI, she got pregnant 2x within 2 years on natural cycles.

She swears by the fact she lost weight with all 3!

Thats a reacurring theam i keep hearing, is "I lost 30-50 lbs and I got pregnant!" makes me almost modivated enough to put down the cake. :P
Vicky, Dx PCOS /IR in 2000 at age 23, on Metformin1500mg daily, 7th cycle on Clomid.

Taylove11 replied to undecided2008's response:
I'm so sorry you found out that way. It was similar for me. My OB told me that there was nothing wrong with me even though I hadn't had a cycle in 5 months. I went to my family doc and he diagnosed me with PCOS.

I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to get pregnant with PCOS. I needed assistance from fertility drugs (I was on it for 3 months), but I have a good friend who has now had 3 children naturally with PCOS.

I think seeing the reproductive endocrinologist is a great idea. My RE helped my husband and I conceive. After 6 months of seeing her, we were KU. Best of luck!!!
Taryn (22), DH (29), DD - 10 weeks. Dx with PCOS 3/09.

undecided2008 replied to Taylove11's response:
I lost weight, still had irregular cycles, gained all the weight back and now losing it again. I hope.

ldwhiteman responded:
Anon_1157,

I Feel terrible about the way your dx was handled. I was just diagnosed yeasterday (on my birthday of all days) but in a very caring and supportive environment at a Midwifery clinic. My husband and I have been trying to conceive with no success.

I had been on one kind of contraceptive or another for the last 15 years and had always had irregular periods. Now that I am on no contraceptive and still very irregular, I went to the midwife (who provides my GYN care) and she was great. She assured me it wasn't a death sentence to getting pregnant but we would probably need drug therapy to do so. We meet on Monday to figure out the best course of treatment.

I encourage you to seek out a sympathetic ear for a physician. Someone who will listen to you and not dismiss your symptoms and pains (both emotional and physical).

I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter, so I know it's not impossible to conceive. I am 30 years old and just now finding out I have PCOS. Turns out our little girl is truly a miracle child.

darkangel12178 responded:
actually if your on the pill it would help you start but it might make it worse in fact u might have got it from taking the pill cuz i was on the pill for over a year and then i stopped having periods totally and my doctor just put me on birth controll she didnt even look in the reason why i wasnt starting she just put me on birth control for 5 years i even came to her and told her i was starting before i was supposed to and that i wanted to find out why i wasnt starting and she didnt wanna do it she wanted to wait til i was ready to have kids.
but then last time i talked to her she wanted to me on an iud and i said well hows that gonna help me that dont make me start.
so i just stopped taking birth control and then i had to go to another gynecologist cuz mine stopped excepting my insurance and then right after i went to this one and found out i had pcos she decided to retire.

ashdwhill1 responded:
I feel your pain. I was dx with PCOS last year all though I knew something was wrong for years. I was going thru painful cramps and no periods but no one could tell me what was wrong. It wasnt until I joined this forum and someone told me to see a reproductive endo because they are more understanding. Before when I wasnt having periods my gyno told me well if you lose 50lbs you would have a period until then we need to put you on progestrone. But, I never understood why. I would ask for ultrasounds he would never do them. My endo gave me an ultrasound on my first visit and there "the ring of pearls" were. They call the cyst that. Just last week I was in severe pain had an appt and cancelled. I am sick and tired of going to the doctor and no one telling me what is wrong with me. No period again, and just started back metformin. I can totally relate.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2011. Its still very hard for me to digest. All I ever wanted was to be a mom, and the way things are going it does not l...More

Helpful Tips

SPORTS>>//Tim Bradley vs Manny Pacquiao Live Streaming HBO PPV Boxing 2014 Hd Video Online Tv
Hi Guys Don't mistake to start watching Manny Pacquiao vs Tim Bradley Online Boxing match on You'r Pc,Laptop,iphone.ipad,mobile,mac ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.