Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Metformin/glucophage
hollylynn9 posted:
Does anyone know if you can take glucophage injections verses taking the horse pills they come in? I am thinking about talking to my dr about this since I also have a lap band. I definate need for liquid form of some form. Cant swallow the horse pills.

FrmGirl responded:
Glucophage/metformin is only available PO (by mouth). I think there is a liquid form but I don't know much about it.

Did the lap band work well for you?
Hannah(28)DH(26) PCOS '06 M/C 2007(early) Early delivery 2008 (23wks) Jude: May 21, 2008 - May 31, 2008; Gabriel: (adopted) Feb 2010

hollylynn9 replied to FrmGirl's response:
the lap band does work very well....although I have a really bad case of the PCOS so sometimes its a bit of a struggle. I would recomend the band to anyone ...especially those with PCOS. PCOS makes a person crave carbs ...then it turns it to fat instead of burning it. The band when it gets tight enough does not allow a person to eat curtain carbs, thus allowing us to lose the weight easier and more quickly. I love it!
Thanks for letting me know about the meds.

reicherd responded:
There is a liquid form of glucophage, it is called Riomet and is 500mg per 5ml (1tsp). It is cherry flavored and i have been able to get it at pharmacies in US

hollylynn9 replied to reicherd's response:
thanks i will look into that...that would help soo much

fiannakyn replied to hollylynn9's response:
I had never heard of a liquid version but what I had to do recently after an injury to my espogus (by one of those horse pills!) is my doc switched me to the regular Metformin (not extended release) then I had to crush the pills and mix them with a spoonfull of jelly. I wish i knew of the liquid then...

-the crush and mix with jelly will work with any pill that is not extended release too-

(for those that are going "What the heck happened?!" -I got an extended release Metformin stuck in my esphogus just past where I could breath (thank goodness!) and while trying to get it un stuck, I tore a hole in my esophogus. They had to do an emergancy edoscopy to remove the pill and I was in the hospital for a week on IV nutrients to let the tear heal, then for 2 weeks afterwards I was on a soft food only diet.
Turns out I have a weird reaction to enviromental allergies, instead of my lungs inflaming, my esophogus swells instead. I now am on heavy duty allergy meds and a steriorid for flair ups just like asthma patients)
Vicky, Dx PCOS /IR in 2000 at age 23, on Metformin1500mg daily, 7th cycle on Clomid.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 23 years old, newly married, and I have PCOS. I am in pain every month from the serveness of my PMS disorder but no period every month. I see a l...More

Helpful Tips

Watch Lyon vs Juventus Live Streaming Soccer Europa League - Quarter-finals Online Hd Video Tv
Hello Dear, Today Soccer Live: you are most welcome Lyon vs Juventus live streaming online free sports start today if you want to watch ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.