Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Metformin (Glucophage) for polycystic ovary syndrome
Annie_WebMD_Staff posted:
If you have PCOS have you been prescribed Metformin by your doctor? How is this medication working for you? Is there anything about this medication, including any potential side effects, that you would tell newcomers to PCOS who are going to be taking this medication?

You can read about any medication you are taking by clicking on the Find a Drug link at the top of this board.

Take care everyone!

- Annie

ballcocolli responded:
i have been on it about a month not sure i am pregnant or it just isn't working yet. i have been ill just not sure. it seems a bit soon to test

fiannakyn replied to ballcocolli's response:
I have been on Met for 10 years. I have had every s/e known.

Side effects I get most often- nausea, heartburn, diareah and gas. Usualy if I eat something too fatty or sugary (like Mcdonalds) This will usualy be the worst when starting the pills, but eases after a few weeks.

Things that help- drinking/eating a milk product with my pills (like a glass of milk, or a yogurt), avoiding McDonalds, eating low carb/low fat and high whole grains and protien foods.

Take a multi vitimin, but make sure its 2-4 hours apart from your metformin, something about metformin leaching B12 and b6?

I recomend people to also google "The Metformin Manifesto"
Vicky, Dx PCOS /IR in 2000 at age 23, on Metformin1500mg daily, 7th cycle on Clomid.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Was dx with PCOS at 17/18. Been ttc almost 2 years with my DH. I have a great RE that we are working with. Very excited to conceive and seriously star...More

Helpful Tips

The Metformin Manifesto
This has been floating around a PCOS forum on a different site for years. I thought it would be good to pass on here. I DID NOT WRITE IT. ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.