Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Losing Weight
DawnMG2 posted:
I am 35 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS two years ago even though I have apparently had PCOS from the beginning... I've never had a regular period in my life. However, I didn't start gaining weight until I was 25 and once I started, I haven't been able to get it back off. I am lucky enough to live in Jacksonville, FL where they have a PCOS Center. I was just given a prescription today for birth control in hopes to even out my hormone levels. The doctor stated my testorone levels were at 99 (not sure what that means exactly). Has anyone already gone this route and did it help with weight loss at all? I see a lot of you are taking Metformin? What is this exactly?

Did everyone have to rely on diet alone to lose weight or did birth control or medication help? The dietition at the clinic has recommended a low glycemic diet but I haven't had the best luck trying to work a diet around a 1-year-old (I took Clomid in 2009 to have him). Any tips?

I've been lucky enough that, even with my high testorone levels, I don't have too many symptoms. My hair is thin and doesn't seem to want to grow anymore but I don't have any balding areas. I have acne but it's on my upper arms and back of my neck mostly. I have hair growth in other areas but nothing I can't shave. So weight is my biggie. My blood sugar levels are borderline so I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic.

Any advice for a newby to the group is appreciated!

MSUphysicsFRIB responded:
A low-glycemic diet and regular exercise are the most effective ways to treat your PCOS and your weight gain. Metformin will help improve your insulin sensitivity and might help your PCOS symptoms, but without reducing your calorie intake and exercising you will not lose weight.

Lowering your testosterone levels and/or increasing your estrogen levels will not help you to lose weight. However, lowering your insulin levels might help, since high insulin levels can make it easier for fat storage to occur (and conversely, losing weight helps to lower insulin levels, so it's sort of a catch-22). Lowering your insulin levels will also help with your PCOS symptoms. Metformin lowers insulin levels, as does a low-glycemic diet and exercise. Metformin is an insulin-sensitizing drug; this means that it makes your insulin work better, which in turn means that your body won't need to produce as much insulin. High insulin levels cause the ovaries to produce lots of androgen, which binds to androgen receptors throughout the body and is converted to testosterone. Testosterone and androgen are "male hormones," although it is normal for females to have low levels of them.

Why can't you work a diet around a 1-year-old? Your 1-year-old can eat a low-glycemic diet, too! Low-glycemic diets are healthy for everyone.

I really like "The New Glucose Revolution Guide to Living Well with PCOS." It does a good job explaining why certain carbs are high glycemic, and how to put together a low-glycemic meal.

MSUphysicsFRIB responded:
Here's an example of how simple it can be to eat a low-glycemic diet.

I will give you an example of "high glycemic meal", and then follow up with an example of a low-glycemic meal.

High glycemic breakfast:

Cereal with milk

Low glycemic breakfast:

1-2 eggs, piece of whole fruit (no juice!)

High glycemic lunch:

roasted chicken sandwich with two pieces of whole wheat or white yeast-raised bread

crackers or chips

low-glycemic lunch:

roasted chicken sandwich on thinly sliced sourdough bread (made with coarsely-ground whole rye flour), with tomato and/or lettuce

Some fat: either add a spread containing ~5 g of fat to teh sandwich (such as mayo or hummus), or eat a few nuts

carrot sticks

high-glycemic snack
pretzels

low-glycemic snack
small handful peanuts
1/2 apple

high-glycemic dinner
Dinner roll
roast beef
cooked vegetable
baked potato

low-glycemic dinner:
tossed salad
roast beef
cooked vegetable
1/2 roasted yam

scurd responded:
I'm a newbie myself but I'd like to tell you what worked for me. I went on the South Beach Diet and lost over 40 lbs. It's not hard to stick to and you can substitute Splenda for suger in just about anything. My doctor highly recommends it to everyone because it was created by a cardiologist. It's actually good for you and great for those with diabetes and PCOS.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Bonnie (22) DH (24) Dx with PCOS...After 18 months of TTC, we got a miracle BFP in March! Due 11/22/11, so blessed!

Helpful Tips

The Metformin Manifesto
This has been floating around a PCOS forum on a different site for years. I thought it would be good to pass on here. I DID NOT WRITE IT. ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.