Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Off birth control and medication.
An_220533 posted:
Hey all! I'm 24 years old. I have PCOS. I'm on Beyaz and Metformin. Does anyone know what would happen if I get off the birth control and medication?

maragayle responded:
I'd talk with your doctor before stopping the Metformin. My doctor said that the medicine is safe to use through the first trimester of pregnancy, assuming that's why you're stopping!

It's really a guessing game as far as getting pregnant goes. Some women don't seem to have a hard time, while others need fertility treatment. I'm part of the lucky women who can't seem to conceive. :( I'm working on a fertility treatment plan with my doctor right now.

Best thing to do, though, is to talk to your doctor. If you're planning on getting pregnant, they should be able to give you some pointers and let you know what's best as far as the medication is concerned.

vhorta86 replied to maragayle's response:
I'm not trying to get pregnant at this moment. However, I went to the doctor to ask about it. She said that it was my choice to get off the birth control and medication. She did say that if I choose to discontinue the metformin, it can lead to health issues such and weight gain facial hair and such.

AbbeyRS replied to vhorta86's response:
I took birth control for a decade and then stopped when we wanted to try to conceive. We didn't know I had PCOS. After a year without conceiving I did have a lot more facial hair growth and I'd gained 15 pound, putting me into the overweight category for the first time in my life. I was diagnosed with PCOS in February and have been on Metformin ever since and have lost 12 pounds.

If it were me, I'd say on either birth control or Metformin to help manage my weight and hormones, but everyone is different.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 21 years old and have had pcos for the past 4 years. the way i found out is that my period had stopped for about 3 months and me and my mom didnt...More

Helpful Tips

WWE Wrestlemania 30 Live Stream Online Hd Video Here Link
WWE Wrestlemania 30 Live Stream PPV Free Online. WrestleMania XXX (also known as WrestleMania 30) will be the thirtieth annual WrestleMania ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.