Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Still no period
alliecooper posted:
I was diagnosed about 3 months ago with PCOS. I have not had a period in almost a year now. I have started taking birth control and have made it through my first month, but still have not had a period. My doctor said that it may take a couple of months, but he honestly didn't care one bit about what was going on with me. I was wondering if any of you have experienced the same?

eloole77 responded:
I have PCOS as well, and have had irregular periods for quite some time. The doctor recently put me on Metformin 500mg, two times a day. I believe it is helping me. It also ups your risk of getting pregnant by promoting ovulation. So if you do not want a baby, also ask about a safe form of birth control to use with it. I hope this helps you, I DO know exactly what you are going through!

maragayle responded:
I was diagnosed in June, so I've been going through the same experience! I don't remember the last time I had a period on my own! My doctor put me on birth control, metformin and asked that I drop 10% of my body weight (very common recommendations for PCOS from what I've read). This is my first month back on the pill, my period is due next week and I'm already spotting here and there, so I think I'm on track.

My husband and I have been ttc for 13 months now. My last doctor was terrible. I wasn't even diagnosed until I switched to a more competent doctor. I could be pregnant or have had a baby by now if I had a good one to begin with! That thought is frustrating. Anyhow, if you don't feel as though your doctor cares about you or what you're going through, then it's time to find a NEW doctor. I feel much, MUCH better with my current OBGYN's office. The first appointment I had they sat me down and had an hour long conversation with me. They addressed all of my questions and concerns. I feel like I may finally be on my way to starting my family. There's nothing more frustrating than a doctor who doesn't care or doesn't take the time for you. Switch to someone you can trust!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I would switch providers. My ob/gyn provider as well as the other providers that I work with (I work at a medical center) don't recommend people going longer than 3 months without a period. They probably should have put you on provera to make af show 1st before putting you on birth control. What type of bc are you on? I have pcos and the one that seemed to work the best was Yaz (or the generic orthocept). It only give you 4 days of sugar pills but what I would do is go through the pack and then wait for AF to show whenI was finished (when I was on it I would gen seem to get af on the 5th day not the 4th day) so had I not waited I would never have gotten af. You may have to do something similar. I have also used Apri which worked as well. Tried lots of different ones but these ones worked the best for me. I am not ttc. I got preg but m/c feb 10th. Now back to irregular cycles. I would def change doctors though you need someone who knows what they are talking about and someone who will listen.
Heather(23),DH Lee(24). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. Hoping I will get blessed again someday.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Last January (2010) I was diagnosed with PCOS, and have been focusing on just making myself better all around. Hubby and I decided we want to have kid...More

Helpful Tips

How Important to Consider a Dependable Muscle and Body Recovery Formula Today
It is very important to remember that developing stronger muscles is not just about consuming supplements daily. Although supplements play ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.