Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Going in for a Hysterosalpingogram (HSG)
maragayle posted:
"Hysterosalpingography, also called uterosalpingography, is an x-ray examination of a woman's uterus and fallopian tubes that uses a special form of x-ray called fluoroscopy and a contrast material ." (http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=hysterosalp)

I'm having an HSG done sometime in September. (I don't have a date yet because they need to time it for after your period and before ovulation.) I was wondering if any of you had had the procedure done and then gotten pregnant after? They're doing the test to make sure there isn't any blockage in my fallopian tubes, but I've read that it can increase your chances for pregnancy. Some sources say up to 30%! So, I was wondering if any of you ladies had input one way or the other.

My husband and I have been ttc for 13 months now. I'm on bc between now and the hsg to try to regulate things. Then after the hsg is done I have the okay to start trying again. It's been a long, long year! So, I'm hoping the end is in sight.

StepmomOF2boys responded:
That is the next step for us. We are going to try medication to ovulate but after that is the X ray.

maragayle replied to StepmomOF2boys's response:
I tried Clomid with a different doctor for 3 months. I got up to taking 100 mg, but it didn't seem to help. They didn't do any monitoring, so I don't know what things looked like.

My new doctor suggested the HSG before fertility medication. Her reasoning is that it doesn't matter if you're ovulating or not if your tubes are blocked. Just seems like a long wait to get there! One month down, two to go on the pill. As always, it brings back regular periods. However, I'm afraid that when I stop taking it my periods will stop, since that's usually the case with me.

Good luck to you!

canwedothis replied to maragayle's response:
I had an HSG in January, at the time we were using Femara to induce ovulation. Since then the Femara quit working for me and we've moved on to injectables. I had also heard that for a couple of cycles after the HSG you can have an increased chance of conception but it didn't work for me. I would suggest taking some ibeuprofin or something before you go for the procedure because mine was quite painful.

Anon_154342 responded:
It didn't work for me. I had Femara Ovidrel and and an IUI after mine and we still got a BFN.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 21 years old and have had pcos for the past 4 years. the way i found out is that my period had stopped for about 3 months and me and my mom didnt...More

Helpful Tips

Watch Columbus Blue Jackets vs New York Islanders Live Streaming Hockey 2014 Hd Video Online Tv
Welcome To Sports Fans Watch Columbus Blue Jackets vs New York Islanders Live Streaming NHL Hockey 2014 Season ICE Hockey Online Direct TV. ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.