Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trying to conceive- Need encouragement
An_241243 posted:
My husband and I have been trying to conceive for a year now and most doctors will not even consider options for infertility treatment until it has been a year. After seeing the same ob/gyn for 6 years now, I got tired of always being pushed off on the nurse practitioner so I transferred my care to another location. Yesterday was my first visit with him and while he was the first doctor to actually give me options I was a little overwhelmed and scared about his advice. He told me he wants to put me on birth control to regulate my periods for 3 months (I have only had 5 so far this year and 2 of those were induced by medication) and then after my 3 months on birth control he will put me on Clomid. In the meantime, I am to get a hysterosalpingogram* and make sure everything is ok in that department. I am worried that taking these birth control pills will make the infertility even worse after I come off them in 3 months. I want to be a mother and it scares me at the possibility of how this will turn out in 3 months. Should I worry like this? The doctor assured me I have nothing to worry about and that it will all be fine.

jennepo responded:
Hi there. I have had a similar problem with my AF... My AF tends to run from 35 days to 3 or 4 months. I did some research and found a vitamin called Vitex and it suppose to help. I started taking it 3 weeks ago and my AF actually showed up on day 28. It was the first time in over 10 years. I would give it a try. My DH also said that my PMS symptoms to a lot better too. DH & I are not trying to TTC until after the first of the year, but I want to get my body in better shape. I have started to chart my cycle, Ovulation and BBT, so I am in a habit and see if I have any patterns before we start.

Anyhow, I would try the Vitex (my OB/GYN gave me the OK) & you can search for it on WebMD under Search for Vitamin, or Google it for more information. Good Luck.

randav2011 replied to jennepo's response:
Ok, Thanks! I will look into that. Is that something I can find at a local pharmacy or do I need to order it online?

jennepo replied to randav2011's response:
I found in at my local grocery store in the Organic/Natural Vitamin section. I checked the website for my local store to make sure they had it, then stopped by the pharmacy to see which aisle it was in. It was only $5. You can order it online, but check your local stores first. Good luck.

maragayle responded:
Don't be concerned about the 3 months of birth control. Like you, I had a terrible experience with my previous doctor and was pushed off to nurses 99% of the time. My new doctor is AMAZING though. She pretty much asked me to do the same thing to see if birth control would regulate me. I had my HSG, all tubes were clear. These are just steps they take to make sure there aren't any other underlying problems. When you've been waiting so long to conceive, three months can seem like a lifetime. However, I found it a bit refreshing because it took all of the pressure off of us to get pregnant.

The birth control will not mess up your fertility further. Most experts now say that you can start ttc right after you take your last month of bc and there are no effects on fertility or the health of your baby.

The other thing my doctor did was to put me on Metformin. It helps women with PCOS to metabolize sugars a little better. That medicine alone is sometimes enough to regulate you. My doctor also had my husband do a semen analysis. Hope that info helps! I've been ttc for 16 months now, so I know how anxious you feel to start your family. I'll be hoping for the best for both of us!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi there, my name is Lori and I am 29. I believe in order to receive help, disclosure is important, so for a bit of background information I seem to h...More

Helpful Tips

Watch Columbus Blue Jackets vs New York Islanders Live Streaming Hockey 2014 Hd Video Online Tv
Welcome To Sports Fans Watch Columbus Blue Jackets vs New York Islanders Live Streaming NHL Hockey 2014 Season ICE Hockey Online Direct TV. ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.