Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just got diagnosed with PCOS
danacarolyn30 posted:
Hi everyone. I just found out today that my doctor thinks I have PCOS. I still have to get the blood work and an ultrasound done but he's pretty positive that I do have PCOS. I've done some research but I still have a couple of questions. The doctor prescribed me some medication (I think it's provera or clomid. I couldn't read his writing on the prescription). I was wondering if anyone knows how much of an increased chance I have of having a multiple pregnancy if twins don't run in my family? I read that I need to get regular check ups to stay on top of heart disease, diabetes, and high cholesterol. All three of those run in my family as well as cancer (skin and uterine). I was wondering how often the average person does their checkups? I get a check up about once a year but it's just the regular physical exam and well woman's exam. I was also wondering if anyone knew how much of an increased chance a woman has to get diabetes, cancer, etc.? That's all the questions I have right now lol. Sorry it's so long.

Thanks,
Dana

maragayle responded:
With Clomid you do have an increased chance of multiples. Roughly one in ten women have twins. It's pretty rare to have more than two, though. If you're taking the medicine for 5 days, starting on the fifth day of your cycle, that's Clomid. It can cause you to ovulate if you don't ovulate on your own.

I still only get my yearly exam. It isn't any different than the exams I had previous to being diagnosed. I'm sure women with more severe cases see their OBGYN more frequently.

Some women with PCOS have an issue processing sugars, though they aren't diabetic. Metformin is a drug that can help with that. As long as you maintain a healthy lifestyle, weight, etc. you shouldn't need to worry about diabetes. I don't know whether or not there's an increased cancer rate, but as long as you're getting your regular checkups, you shouldn't be too concerned.

danacarolyn30 replied to maragayle's response:
Well that makes sense. The doctor doesn't think I'm ovulating and that's why he wants me to take the Clomid. I ask my doctor next time I see him if I need to have more than an yearly exam but I'm assuming I don't have if he hasn't mentioned it yet. He might be waiting to see what's on my ultrasound first though. I'm not even really sure how bad my PCOS is. He does have me getting my fasting glucose when I get my blood work done but he doesn't want me to do that until the 3rd day of AF. I think he also said he was checking my hormones like LSH and FSH? Thank you for the information. I've been doing some research and it seems to help a little.

curiousnmo replied to danacarolyn30's response:
When I was told.. I didn't have an ultrasound. And he didn't mention doing any more routine check ups than usual. He put me on metformin and Provera at first.. I am still taking the metformin. But, I didn't have high sugar or anything like that. I guess it's just to help me get pregnant. I havn't been back though.. and that appt. was in July.

danacarolyn30 replied to curiousnmo's response:
curiousnmo,

Do find that melformin helped you loose weight? Have you had any success with the provera? The doctor wants to put me on clomid after I do the ultrasound which is next week.

I am not sure if it was the metformin that has helped me lose weight.. but, I have lost 15 lbs since April. But, I also bought an exercise bike and have been using it. I usually do between 10 and 15 miles a week on it I think. I actually only took the provera one month. Since I did not have my period for 4 months.. but since I took it I have not missed my period. I mixed myself up.. I was taking the parlodel when I started taking the metformin. I had high prolactin levels.

I'm getting an ultrasound done tomorrow on my ovaries. The doctor wants to take a look at them. I"m not really sure what he's looking for but I think he's looking to see if there are cysts on my ovaries or something. I think he's going to give me clomid once he does that but I'm not sure. Right now he has me just taking prenatal vitamins.

danacarolyn30 replied to danacarolyn30's response:
I got my ultrasound done today. He said the uterine lining looked too thick and I have a couple cysts on my ovaries. I'm going in on the 10th to get a biopsy done of the lining. He still wants me to get blood work done on the 3rd day of my period and then start clomid shortly after. I don't know why he wants to the biopsy but we'll see.

danacarolyn30 replied to danacarolyn30's response:
Sorry I was wrong. The doctor wants to do an endometrial biopsy.

well keep us posted! good luck!

I will! Thank you for all the help and support guys! I'm going to call the dr on Monday and see if I'm supposed to pick up clomid when my period starts or if I'm supposed to wait a little while until I've been taking the prenatal for a while. He said something about taking the prenatal for at least three months so I'm going to call and ask.

tiggerfan_06 replied to maragayle's response:
hi i just got told i have PCOS and got put on metformin and i noticed that some woman can get pregnant while using this med. if so what are my chances??? before i got told i had this i was on clomid and provera the clomid didnt help me ovulate but the provera made me have a regular period every month. i hope that this med help me ovulate ANY ADVICE??

danacarolyn30 replied to tiggerfan_06's response:
You can get pregnant on melformin? I thought that was medication just to help you loose weight? The doctor wants to put me on clomid to help me ovulate. He hasn't said anything about provera so I'm not sure. I'm not even really sure when I'm supposed to start the clomid so I'm going in tomorrow to talk to him. I think they're getting sick of me lol

This might help you understand why they want you to take the metforming......

Metformin decreases the level of androgens produced by the ovaries and adrenal glands. It also helps the body use insulin and may reduce the risk of diabetes .
Metformin lowers blood sugar levels by:
  • Decreasing the amount of sugar produced by the liver .
  • Increasing the amount of sugar absorbed by muscle cells and decreasing the body's resistance to insulin (insulin resistance ). When blood sugar is lower, less insulin is needed, so the body makes less insulin. And when insulin is lower, the body produces a lower level of androgens. Metformin is a diabetes medicine sometimes used for lowering insulin and blood sugar levels in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) . This helps regulate menstrual cycles, start ovulation , and lower the risk of miscarriage in women with PCOS. Long-term use also lowers diabetes and heart disease risk related to high insulin levels.1 Metformin may be useful in restoring regular menstrual cycles and starting ovulation in about 45% of women with PCOS

I went into the doctor's today. He looked at my ultrasound again and he seemed a lot more concerned about my cysts. He seemed a little more concerned about the size this time. He agreed to start me on Clomid this Saturday but stressed concern about the Clomid having the possibly making the cysts bigger. He didn't tell me what to look for. He said that if the Clomid increased the size of the cysts I'd have to have surgery. He also asked me if I was having pain and I said a little but I always just assumed it was part of AF. DF still doesn't seem that concerned about it. I tried to explain what it was to him but he says he still doesn't get it. He says that whether we can have kids or not, it doesn't matter to him which is sweet but he already has two kids from another relationship. He already got what he wanted and as much as I love my step kids, I still want one of my own. Does that make me bad or selfish? I'm trying to stay positive right now but I'm going to be honest: I'm struggling a little. I do have depression and it's been a little more than usual lately. I'm trying not to stress about the biopsy on the 10th. I'm just afraid that I'm going to have uterine cancer, have to have surgery, or something else that takes away all my chances of getting pregnant.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello my fellow cystas! I'm glad a community like this exists for women like us (thank you WebMD). I was diagnosed two weeks ago, for the second t...More

Helpful Tips

The Metformin Manifesto
This has been floating around a PCOS forum on a different site for years. I thought it would be good to pass on here. I DID NOT WRITE IT. ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.