Skip to content
Hypo, Arthritis, PCOS, Low Cortisol
jls826 posted:
Hello Community,

I've had hypothyroidism since 2008 - that was after 5 years of unexplainable weight gain, despite diets and excercise (with nutritionist & trainer). I've been on Synthyroid 50 mcg since then. Up until recently I was also on Metformin 1500MG. During the past year I've lost ~ 30lbs...not quite sure how as I gave up on nutritionist, diets, trainers, and have not been excercising as much as I should in recent months due to back surgery over the summer, yet I'm still dropping weight - not at alarming rates, but it doesn't make sense.

Recently I saw an endocrinologist. I had seen one years ago for PCOS and when I gained all that weight but had a bad experience and decided to stick with my PCP & Gyn. The endo checked all the usual stuff plus Cortisol.

Of all the labs I've had done this past month, all were normal,e xcept for the following:

CORTISOL AM0.4
THYROID PEROXIDASE AB (TPO)223.0

I will note that the Cortisol test done was the dexamethasone...not sure if it is so low because of that and if that is normal...even though the normal range on the test result is 6.7-22.6. The TPO normal range is 0-9.0.

This endo called me yesterday with the results and left a message saying everything was normal and I could call him if I wanted to talk about coming off of the synthroid (which I mentioned at my appt).

The hospital I see all of my drs thru uses an online thing that posts all lab results, which is how I know the above. When I hard his message I was surprised that he said they were normal...

So, I'm not sure if the Cortisol is low only because of the dexa (whic supposedly is used to test for high cortisol), or if it is infact abnormal as the lab indicates...

Also, I've had a lot of muscle and joint problems recently...arthritis in hip & back, herniated discs, bursitis, and the list could go on. Even with surgery and 4 mos aggressive PT, the orthopaedic symptoms are not improving...

Could all of this somehow be connected and could there be some other underlying issue?

I'm really tired and frustrated as I live in NYC and see great doctors at great hospitals...but after years of not feeling well, and the last YEAR of waking up every 2-3 hrs in hip pain (supposed bursitis) for over a year, I feel like I'm going to scream unless something gives...

Any thoughts from anyone with similar symptoms/issues?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Bonnie (22) DH (24) Dx with PCOS...After 18 months of TTC, we got a miracle BFP in March! Due 11/22/11, so blessed!

Helpful Tips

CLICK//You are most welcome to Charlotte Bobcats vs Philadelphia 76ers live stream NBA Basketball online free NBA Basketball start today if you want to watch this match you must be
Charlotte Bobcats vs Philadelphia 76ers live stream NBA Basketball on your PC. Charlotte Bobcats vs Philadelphia 76ers live time is Monday, ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.