Skip to content
Controlling PCOS
C_Richie posted:
Hi all! After years of struggling with acne, weight gain, hair growth, and lack of a menstrual cycle, I have finally been diagnosed with PCOS. It's frustrating how long it took for someone to actually pin point and identify the problem, but at least it is now figured out. However, because there is no one magical drug to fix everything, things are still quite frustrating. I was just recently prescribed Metformin as a way to combat the symptoms. Likewise, my dietitian recommended a low-carb/high-protein diet to follow. The doctor has said that it is going to be a long process, and it has only been a month or so, but I have seen little to no change. And I must admit, I am only dealing with minor symptoms of the PCOS. The acne is not severe, I weigh 135 and I'm 5'5". So yes, I could be struggling a lot worse, but I am still not happy.

Anyway, there is my background. Now, I do have a few questions for those who have been dealing with PCOS for a little while longer. How long did it take for your symptoms to lessen? Did anyone try taking birth control to help speed things up? (Side note: Does anyone else's skin break out worse in the following days after they experience a few orgasms?)

Thank you for reading this, I appreciate your time. If anyone has any pointers, tips, advice, I'm open to anything! I also hear there are several different approaches to treating PCOS so I'm interested in how all of you are also taking it on. Thanks again!

-Christa

gigglesnsmiles1979 responded:
my doctors are quite passive which lead me to this website. I'm 5'5" n 139 but been up to 155. I try to just eat healthier than the normal person to keep my weight in check (i have low thyroid too) but all my drs ever done was put me on birth control. I dont have the acne but i do have the thinning hair and facial hair that I wax n pluck daily. (lazer treatments cost alot and for us with hormonal problems is just a temperary fix bc it comes back). I'm hoping to find a real solution. I've read on here others taking metformin to control sugars but side effects sound worse then pcos symptoms. I'm getting another ultrasound tomorrow (mainly for a month long period i've had) but hope to get some REAL treatment options when I talk to my dr about results. If I hear of more I will let ya know.
Jenn

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 23 years old, newly married, and I have PCOS. I am in pain every month from the serveness of my PMS disorder but no period every month. I see a l...More

Helpful Tips

FReE## Ottawa Senators vs New York Rangers live stream nhl watch free ,..///watch HD tv online.
Watch Ottawa Senators vs New York Rangers live stream online Free HOCKEY Game Today. Don't miss Carolina Hurricanes vs Edmonton Oilers ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.