Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Daily Struggle with Facial Hair, HELP
singingbear posted:
I am 33 yrs old and as a result of a 69 day period 2 yrs ago I was diagnosed with PCOS. After multiple blood test and ultrasounds my hormone levels all came back normal as did my blood sugar test but I did have several cyst on my ovaries. I also have many of the other outwardly observable symptoms. Even with "normal" hormone levels I struggle daily with excessive facial hair. I will not leave my house each day until I am able to take care of that big problem by shaving. I never go anywhere without a razor or stay anywhere I can't bath in the morning. I am horribly embarrassed by the facial hair which started in high school. The only treatment my GYN has offered for my PCOS is birth control pills which have regulated my cycle and I have lost 35 lbs in the 2 yrs with no effort on my part (although I don't know if that was the BC pills or the start of my RA). Nothing concerning my PCOS has been evaluated since the initial diagnosis. Because I am not and have never been sexually active (personal moral decision) my GYN will not do a pap exam except every 2 - 3 yrs and as a result has not followed up on the PCOS.
I have also recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and I am taking multiple medications and seeing a Rheumatologist every 6 weeks for that.
I have tried Vaniqua (sp?) in the past but after nearly a year I had nothing to show for the effort but a thinner checkbook.
Does anyone have any suggestions that will not cost a fortune or interact with my RA treatment? I have so many medical bills from the RA and my insurance will not cover anything cosmetic. If I had to I can live with the irregular periods and and weight gain but my self esteem suffers severely from the 5 o'clock shadow. I am a prisoner to my own chin. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

tbrusco06 responded:
Hi Have you tried waxing instead of shaving? or bleaching the hair I bleach my unwanted hair and it just looks like peach fuzz..... I hope this helps
As far as RA I am not to sure as I dont have this I know it can be quite expensive as with many things these days...

Sherm919 responded:
Hi There,

I've struggled with this since I was a young girl. It's hard, and I'm sorry that you've had to face this day after day. I too shaved out of desperation, but really I noticed that it just made the hair grow back quicker and thicker.

I'd like to make a few suggestions that I've used that have helped a little. I use Nair wax kit. It keeps the hair growth away longer and gets rid of more. I also use Nair cream for face for short or quick runs.

I looked into lazer removal but could not afford it at the time.

Don't loose hope and faith. Know that you are beautiful even on the days when PCOS takes over.

singingbear replied to Sherm919's response:
Thank you both for your suggestions. I have tried home wax kits in the past but the hair is so dark and thick (like a mans beard) that the wax was never successful. I am just so tired of dealing with it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I began menstration very early (10 years old) and at 12 years old, I had a cyst to rupture. My GYN at that time became concerned that I might have PCO...More

Helpful Tips

I reviews have been seen thousand
I reviews have been seen thousand times there is alive visitor counter on each review and then you might just curies at that the ones that ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.