Skip to content
PCOS
tbrusco06 posted:
Hi all,
I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 right after I got married. I was having excruciating pain in my lower abdomen which ended up to be a cyst that ruptured I was in denial for a long time that I had this condition when I was diagnosed I was 154 pounds and a newlywed and young I thought nothing could touch me. Well a few years later I am now 23 will be 24 next week I graduated nursing school and I have coming to the realization that I really do have PCOS and I need to gain control of my life. How ever I was wondering the last few months I have been having hot flashes like they are going out of style and my "libido" is way down. Probably because I have gained so much weight in the last 4 years I am just down right depressed. Can anyone give me some insite as to a "diet" I should start following and maybe an exercise regimen I could follow that has given you ladies success!! Thanks so much and good luck to everyone in their PCOS endeavor. We are all strong women and we shall overcome all this just stay positive!!!
Thanks for reading

Milz88 responded:
Hey tbrusco06,

I'm new here but i found out i had PCOS about three years ago. What you are experiencing is normal. Women experience a number of things like depression and a low libido, it is different for each woman. Nonetheless, you should consult your doctor about your hot flashes. I also struggled with the weight issue as well but you must lose the weight and change your diet in order to minimize the effects of PCOS.

So my exercise regimen is I work out three days for the week for about 30 mins because I am university student with little time but if you can workout everyday then do it, the more you exercise the better. I also take fish oil because it helps burn more calories when I exercise. Now for persons who have our condition you need to do a work that is more than 5 mins in length to get your heart rate up. So Jillian Michaels "Yoga meltdown" DVD and Zumba worked for me and I lost 7lbs in about 2 weeks. You can use this regimen or make up one that suits your lifestyle.
I also read this book for more information about the PCOS and how to deal with it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071499849/ref=oh_o00_s01_i01_details

This book also has a menu in the back which is useful when it comes to the diet. A low glyemic index diet is recommended for PCOS coupled with exercise( you shouldn't stop exercise regimen because you will gain weight again). The diet is really exciting and easy to make. I have a lot of allergies so i didn't quite follow it plus I live in the Trinidad and Tobago where the food is a lot different than the USA.

I did take metformin for a while but it made me sick so I stopped and kept with the diet and exercise. I am not trying for a baby yet because I am going to do my masters. I hope that all the information i have given is useful and hope it helps as it helped me. All the best and keep positive,

Bye

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I were married April 2005. We started TTC in August of 2005 b/c we knew that due to my family history we would have difficulty conceivi...More

Helpful Tips

Watch Columbus Blue Jackets vs New York Islanders Live Streaming Hockey 2014 Hd Video Online Tv
Welcome To Sports Fans Watch Columbus Blue Jackets vs New York Islanders Live Streaming NHL Hockey 2014 Season ICE Hockey Online Direct TV. ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.