Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weight Struggles with PCOS
DawnMG2 posted:
I was officially diagnosed with PCOS about four years ago but I've always had it -- inherited from my mother (just never put it all together until my diagnosis). Never had normal periods from the beginning (about three periods a year) but back then, I had always been really small and light so doctors always chalked it up to me "being athletic". I was barely over a 100 pounds until I was about 25 and (I am convinced this was the culprit) went on birth control for the first time. Something triggered and I slowly started gaining weight every year. I completely transformed my eating and exercise habits, but nothing stopped the weight gain. My gym trainers were stumped.

After my diagnoses, my doctor advised my blood sugar wasn't high enough to be put on Metformin so he has only been doing a birth control regimin. For me, I feel like my regimin is exactly what triggered the weight gain. Sure enough, I haven't lost any weight yet and am still gaining. I've modified my diet (though I will admit I'm not as strict as I should be), but am still really struggling. I am now up to almost 180 pounds.

So does anyone have any advice on what has actually worked for them in losing weight without the assistance of Metformin?

maragayle responded:
I was unable to lose weight at all without Metformin. Only once in my life have I been able to. That was when I was in college and contracted mono. All of my blood work came back normal as well. No hyperactive thyroid, no cholesterol issues, no blood sugar problems, nothing. However, women with PCOS often have a hard time digesting sugars normally. Instead of processing sugars and burning them for energy our bodies store the sugar as fat. I'm on 1500mg/day of Metformin now. Since last July I've lost 26 pounds! Personally, I would seek out the opinion of another doctor. If nothing else, my doctor often uses the medication to assist with weight loss, discontinuing when possible once the patient obtains a healthy weight.

robin3709 replied to maragayle's response:
I was diagnosed with pcos last year. My whole life i've gotten 1 or 2 periods a year.(normally lasting about 30 days) I was always very thin without even having to try. When I was about 23 or 24 something changed. I still eat right and I still excercise but the weight just kept piling on. I was always about 115 and now I'm 31 years old and I weigh 180. When I was finally diagnosed with pcos I was a little relieved to find out that part of the weight gain was out of my control. I understand what you're going through and congrats on the 26 pound loss! I will def ask my doctor about metformin

cahDavid replied to robin3709's response:
hi, i was diagnosed with PCOS when i was 17 year old, and now i turn 21, things get a little bit strange, i'm gaining some pounds. I was always skinny even when i eat a lot. But now, since i turned 21 and my diet is the same as before, my body keep gaining weight.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am 28 yrs old . i am have issues with pcos and abnormal bleeding plus i just found out that i am a diabetic but i really just want is to have a fam...More

Helpful Tips

Watch Columbus Blue Jackets vs New York Islanders Live Streaming Hockey 2014 Hd Video Online Tv
Welcome To Sports Fans Watch Columbus Blue Jackets vs New York Islanders Live Streaming NHL Hockey 2014 Season ICE Hockey Online Direct TV. ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.