Skip to content
Advice on taking metformin for PCOS during pregnancy...
HBEMaddie posted:
Sadly on my first pregnancy I decided to stop taking metformin because I didn't want to take so much medication and my OB said it was ok. However, in July after 9 weeks my baby's heart stop working and I had to have a DNC. After the miscarriage I was adviced by my OB to get back on metformin in order to get pregnant again due to PCOS.
I'm happy to say I just found out I'm pregnant again and decided to do some research. As a home bas educator I use babycenter.com and did some research by asking other moms about PCOS and metformin during pregnancy. It seems most expecting mom's with PCOS have successful pregnancies by continuning with metformin.
Also one of WecMD's articles on Diabetes medication metformin lowering miscarriages confirms the comments I read and I'm happy research has been made on this case.

Please give me advice and research I can read. I do want to share information with my OB once I have my first prenatal visit to make sure to continue with metformin during my pregnancy.

thank you,
HBEMaddie

DCR2003 responded:
Awww im sorry to hear about your m/c. *hugs* I m/c in December of 2011 and just got diagnosed with PCOS in August. Ive been on Met since August and if i do fall pregnant, i am thinking my doctor will keep me on Met for at least the first 3 months. Any info would be great too!

thistledown1973 responded:
I took metformin throughout my entire pregnancy (Type 2 diabetes, PCOS) and my son was born healthy. My OB/GYN said that in Europe full studies had been done and showed that it was safe to take (this was in 2002-2003).

Spotlight: Member Stories

Last January (2010) I was diagnosed with PCOS, and have been focusing on just making myself better all around. Hubby and I decided we want to have kid...More

Helpful Tips

CLICK--
Hi Guys Don't mistake to start watching Manny Pacquiao vs Tim Bradley Online Boxing match on You'r Pc,Laptop,iphone.ipad,mobile,mac ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.