Skip to content
Metformin, Clomid, and HCG Trigger
misskatelyn19 posted:
I was just recently diagnosed with PCOS and I am ttc. I have had 3 miscarriages in the past and I dont have any living children. Mu doctor wants me to start my cycle and take clomid and then trigger to release ovulation. I have been on metformin for about 2 weeks now and it isn't too bad, I have to just really watch what I eat. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this combo before? If there has been any success in the first month of this or no? I am just looking for some encouragement beucase of my previous losses I don't really know what to expect.
Thank you

An_244097 responded:
Most of it depends on why you are on clomid and how your body works with it. Clomid does regulate a cycle (with some side affects so it seemed best for me to take at night before bed). If the clomid works to produce a healthy egg, and they give you the trigger to make sure your body releases the egg, the sperm is good and they meet, then yeah it is possible to have success in the first month. There are a lot of variables like why they are using clomid, and why the m/c.

Did they do and testing to make sure your and DH are good (sperm test, chromosonal blood work, HSG)? Are they looking at putting you on progesterone after ovulation incase low progesterone was the reason for the m/c? Are you starting at 50mg clomid? What cycle days are you doing? Are they doing any other monitoring through your cycle, U/S before a trigger, progesterone test 7dpo?

Here is some of my history:I have done multiple clomid cycles prior to being put on metformin for PCOS. My RE put me on metformin 500mg week 1, 1000mg week 2 and then 1500mg from then on out. I had about 2 months of side effects but seem to be handling it well now (5 months in). We did 5mg femera since the clomid wasn't working this time around. We also did a trigger shot (first time ever for me) and progesterone 5dpo and on. I ended up with a chemical preg on round one. Round two was the same except no trigger due to Christmas. I did O on my own on CD20 and did the progesterone 5dpo and on. Again a chemical preg. We are doing a little testing and then moving on to injectables to have better control over the quality of the egg and ovulation. Right now with meds, it seems I O, and out of the 8 times I have O'd on meds (clomid and femera) I have had a positive 6 times.

I wish you the best and hope to hear some good news soon!!

Baby Dust

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 30 yr old woman, that has had pcos since probly about the age of 18. I have never had a menstration on my own, and now I have gained a lot of w...More

Helpful Tips

The Metformin Manifesto
This has been floating around a PCOS forum on a different site for years. I thought it would be good to pass on here. I DID NOT WRITE IT. ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.