Skip to content
Help Deciding on Metformin
NelliB posted:
Hi everyone, I am so thankful to see this site. I am a 39yr old mother of 4, was diagnosed with pcos when I was 18. I was also diagnosed with hypothyroid, been taking levothyroxine since I was 18. Back when I was diagnosed with pcos I felt like I was the only person in the world with it, so embarassed by the facial hair and didn't know how to begin to lose weight. Have never been given any type of medication to treat the pcos, a couple doctors over the years tried to prescribe bc, which I tried and gained more weight, so stopped that right away!!! I would love some advice from anyone who has tried metformin while taking thyroid meds. I feel my body reverting back to it's pcos comfort zone. Thought I had it taken care of for the past 12 years. Please help if you can. Thank you

awhits responded:
I have also been taking levothyroxin since college, and was just recently diagnosed w/PCOS. I take Metformin twice a day and just try to take the thyroid meds separately - first thing in the morning. Then I wait as long as possible before having breakfast, and take the metformin after I eat, and at dinner as well. I've only been on the combination for about 4 weeks now, have also tried to limit sugars, and have worked out a LOT.
So far it seems to be helping! I've lost about 10 lbs and my acne has cleared up some. Got my period earlier than typical too. (Normally 8-10 weeks apart) My Dr. said the key is to use the meds in conjunction w/exercise and diet. Stay away from sugar and bad carbs!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am female in her twenties! I was diagnosed with pcos at the age of 17. I was having less periods and was concerned so I had tests run and was diagno...More

Helpful Tips

Muscle Cars - Selecting The Right One For You
Purchase a rowdy car gift always be a big conclusion With so umpteen contr T-Advance astive things that you poorness to bed into ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.