Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just Dx'd, BC Rx, worried about weight gain! Advice?
destineyj posted:
Hello everyone. Today, after confirming with blood tests and an ultrasound the last few weeks, I was officially diagnosed with PCOS. Something my doctor had suspected four years ago, but never went through to find out. After the past four years of irregular to no periods, I finally decided to get it fixed. The best thing my doctor could tell me to do was to lose 10% of my weight, which would be 21 pounds. She also gave me four months worth of samples of Lo Loestrin FE to get my periods regular. I am 24 years old and have seen a dramatic increase in my weight over the past four years (about 70 lbs) without any change in my diet. I am very concerned about my weight considering my ideal weight should be 110lbs. I am wondering if anyone has had any trouble with losing weight while having this condition or using this birth control? At info would be greatly appreciated!

danirobinson responded:
Hello. I also have just been diagnosed with PCOS and IR. They ran tons of blood tests an confirmed it with the pelvic ultrasound. My ideal weight is also 110 and in the past 6 months I've gained over 30 lbs because of it and I also have been suffering from depression for a few years now and I finally understand why. I've been going out for runs nearly daily and on a diet nonstop and diet pills and still keep gaining weight. I completely understand the frustration with it. My doctor is going to prescribe me metformin and put me back on birth control. Just want to let u know I do sympathize with you and know the feeling. Hope things improve for u

destineyj replied to danirobinson's response:
Thanks, hopefully everything goes well for you as well. What is the Metformin supposed to do? Idk if it was just my doctor, but she didn't seems to be too interested in what she could do to help me besides telling me to lose weight. Ha, kinda easy for her to say, especially since I am constantly gaining weight. Now I am more worried about taking the BC because I know that usually makes you gain weight. Oh boy. At least it's nice to know some share in the frustration with all of this,

jrmjo replied to destineyj's response:
Definitely be an advocate for yourself. Sounds like you need a new doctor. It's my understanding the Metformin is standard treatment for PCOS, and if a doctor is educated about PCOS, s/he would know that. AND, she should know that "just lose weight" is not really a very helpful comment.

I didn't have to take Metformin and was able to manage my weight with exercise and diet, but my daughter is struggling. Hang in there.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I got my period when I was 12 and it was"normal" for about a year. Then it started skipping and I went to a gynecologist and an endocrinolog...More

Helpful Tips

I reviews have been seen thousand
I reviews have been seen thousand times there is alive visitor counter on each review and then you might just curies at that the ones that ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.