Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Looking for answers
LizAshley000 posted:
I was 12 (the normal age) when I first started getting a cycle which was fairly normal and regular but as the years went on it got a little more irregular, I was tested for hypothyroidism and that came back clear. I am now almost 22 and a year ago my cycle had been on the same norm for the past 3 years but it changed drastically with in the last year. I went from having a cycle every 2-3 months to having only 2 in the last year. My lmp was mid January 2013 which only lasted 4 days and was pretty light and my lmp before that was end of August 2012 and was normal flow and roughly 5 days. If anyone could give me some advise on what I should do or voice any concerns I would really appreciate it. Also, I think it may be a possibility that it could be PCOS... If anyone knows how much testing for that roughly costs please let me know seeing as I currently don't have medical insurance.

superchickie2003 responded:
I too have PCOS. Are you overweight? Do you have a lot of extra body hair (facial or arm)? I am not sure how much the testing costs because I have always had medial insurance. But what they did was a ton of blood work and then an internal sonogram which showed my cysts on my ovaries. I have been on metformin and prenatal vitamins for a few years now just trying to get me to have a regular cycle without birth control as I am trying to conceive a baby. When I was on birth control I got my MC like clock work. When I took myself off of it I haven't had a MC in over a year except for the two that were medically induced.

LizAshley000 replied to superchickie2003's response:
Yes I am a little overweight but not really by much. I do get a couple of chin hairs and I (hate to admit this) do get a small 'happy trail' on my stomach that I have to shave all the time seeing as all my hair seems to grow like a weed. Also when in the shower I get a lot of hair that falls out from my head but I have thick hair so it never really has made a difference. I'm looking into a couple offices around my area to see if they're a high cost for the testing. I think if I do have it then they'll just have me go on BC.
Best of luck trying to conceive!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Bonnie (22) DH (24) Dx with PCOS...After 18 months of TTC, we got a miracle BFP in March! Due 11/22/11, so blessed!

Helpful Tips

The Metformin Manifesto
This has been floating around a PCOS forum on a different site for years. I thought it would be good to pass on here. I DID NOT WRITE IT. ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.