Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Best precautions NOT to get pregnant with PCOS
An_253920 posted:
I know this seems like an odd question but my girlfriend and I just started seeing each other. She has several issues (including alcoholism and marijuana use). She's trying to clean herself up and one day after having sex she tells me that she doesn't like using condoms because they make her feel like a "whore." Kind of odd but knowing a bit of her history somewhat understandable. Then she says she "Can't get pregnant because she has PCOS and would need to take medications to do so." Obviously we are NOT at the moment trying to conceive a child. She's not overweight nor excessively hairy as I've read as being some of the symptoms. She said she usually has her period every six weeks.So my questions and concerns are what if any are the risks of her conceiving without medications? Should I insist on using condoms anyway? Would Birth Control Pills help and control her PCOS or increase her chances of pregnancy?

An_254413 responded:
Always, always, always use condoms. Condoms not only prevent pregnancy, but they protect against STIs (aka STDs aka the heebie jeebies)...If she has as checkered of a past as you report, why would you even WANT to have sex with her without a condom? Additionally, people with PCOS can get pregnant. There are varying severities of PCOS. There are plenty of people with PCOS who get pregnant naturally. The worst part about PCOS is that if you guys were trying to use the rhythm method in preventing pregnancy, there would be no way to figure out when she is ovulating or when she isn't because PCOS makes your cycle all screwy. It is 2013, use a condom.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 21 years old and have had pcos for the past 4 years. the way i found out is that my period had stopped for about 3 months and me and my mom didnt...More

Helpful Tips

Watch Columbus Blue Jackets vs New York Islanders Live Streaming Hockey 2014 Hd Video Online Tv
Welcome To Sports Fans Watch Columbus Blue Jackets vs New York Islanders Live Streaming NHL Hockey 2014 Season ICE Hockey Online Direct TV. ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.