Skip to content
PCOS Weight Loss Struggles, Which Diet Is Best?
MrsT80 posted:
Anyone on here have success with weight loss and PCOS?

My PCOS symptoms seemed to have gone away completely, but then I feel in love, got engaged, and got married, and packed on aw few pounds. Now I missed my period pretty much 2 months on a row, and home tests say I am not pregnant, likely that I am not since we use condoms as a birth control method. I know I will have slightly more difficulty getting pregnant when my husband and I DO want to start trying to have kids, so for that reason I have not wanted to take any b.c. pills to start that stuff into my system. I havent taken any form of bc either pills or the shot in about 10 years, so I just dont want that stuff in my system anymore. I have a hard enough time losing weight withouth the depo shot holding me back more.

I have been working out more, I have been consuming less calories, and for months I am not seeing results.

Is there any medication or suggestion that I could talk to my doctor about that would help me? I have tried the blood sugar medicine metformin, but maybe I didnt try it long enough, but it didnt seem to do anything for me. Im not sure how effective the blood sugar medicie is going to be at regulating hormones though. I just want to be normal and healthy. I am considerably obese. I am only 5 feet 4 inches and weigh 260 lbs. I really want to lose weight before I attempt to get pregnant because I dont want to further comlicate my health or the health of my baby, but I am having such a hard time. My doctor thought to prescribe me some kind of legal speed just before I Was about to get married, but I was so scared of accidently getting pregnant and affecting the baby with the drug, that I stopped taking it. It was an appetite supressant but an extreme form.

Im just not sure what to do anymore. Im not saying Im giving up, but I am a results oriented person. If I keep doing something and never get results, then obviously I feel discouraged and its hard to keep this stuff up with the consuming less calories and working out when Im already super tired. I also have chronic pain my feet mortons nueroma in both feet. Basically Im a hot mess.

Any suggestions for Weight Loss and Hormone Balance with PCOS?

I have read that the lower glycemic or lower carb diet is best for people with PSOC but I find it so very hard to keep up. So I went back to a lower calorie diet. I also read about the hormone balancing affect of the "Flat Belly Diet": but that is also really hard to keep up because its 4 meals a day, and a MUFA (Mono unsaturated fatty acid) with every meal like olives, olive oil, avocado and certain nuts. That takes so much planning and is hard to maintain as well. I tried it.
I thought a more balanced approach would be better because when I get pregnant I will need to eat balanced foods, so I just dont know what to do.

Help anyone? Maybe I have to try harder on the lower carb diets. Its so hard to stick with. Also my mother in law is fighting diabetes and high cholesterol so I try to choose balanced foods we all can eat, my mother in law lives with my husband and I.

lgh616 responded:
I'm also struggling with losing weight. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years ago and I have a pretty severe case of it too. You're right about low glycemic diets being best for PCOS. Just lowering your fat and calorie intake isn't something that is very helpful for people with PCOS. I lost a little bit of weight this way, but eventually it stopped and I couldn't seem to lose anything past the initial couple pounds.
I have done a lot of research, and have a new doctor that suggested the Paleo diet. It posiively affects the body in every way that PCOS negatively affects the body. I have been doing it for about 2 weeks now and so far I feel much better and have lost about 5 pounds. There are a lot of resources available to learn about the diet.
I hope this is at least a little bit helpful. It is a long journey though, and it is a hard diet to stick with.
Good Luck!

lgh616 replied to lgh616's response:
Oh, and it's also a great diet for diabetes, high blood pressure/cholesterol too.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Single mom of a wonderful daughter. PCOS *see and endocrinologist and GYN* History of central hypothyroidism Rathke cleft cyst Anxiety / OCD 20/200 vi...More

Helpful Tips

Max Muscle Blast
If you want to boost over-all results of muscle building then using Max Muscle Blast is a better option for you. This is not only ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.