Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
39-wk D/A Appt
QueenOfStarWars posted:
I had my 39-wk D/A appt today.

Everything checked out fine. Still at 2.5cm. He said that she's bigger than my last baby. Catherine was 4lbs 7oz, so I wasn't suprised.

He said he was thinking I would have gone into labor this weekend (I thought she was coming too!!!!) and asked if I wanted to be INDUCED. I don't know why, but that bothered me. I felt a wave of panic!

He said that I 'need to go into labor' this week. I don't know if it's because size of her or me (I had 2nd degree tears w/ Catherine), or whatever.

I think he saw I was freaking out and went ahead and scheduled my 40-wk appt for Monday, but said if I don't have her this week we MUST make a definitive date for induction and he does not want her to go past Wednesday of next week.

It was all kind of a whirlwind. I was pretty upset when I left. Now I feel like I should have asked more questions.

On a lighter note, I asked if there was anything I could do. He said "have relations" even though it's easier said than done this late int he pregnancy LOL.
Jeannie [Me (37); DH (41); DD 22mos (EDD 12/23/2008 but born at 33 wks on 11/9/2008); EDD for 2: 10/18/2010 Pink Team]

kay_kay75 responded:
Jeannie,

Sending good labor vibes your way! It is so wonderful that you have made it this far! Congratulations and I hope you got all of your papers graded and everything to be ready for this LO.

Scoutabout responded:
OMG -- 'cause "having relations" is just want you probably want to do right now! Did he take a few steps back at the expression on your face? LOL -- I can only imagine!

You can always call him and ask why he thinks you "need" to go into labor this week. Was your blood pressure OK? A friend of mine was induced at about the same time as you b/c of her swelling, and it all went just fine. I think it's amazing that you're already dilated some -- that's a good, positive thing. Your body is preparing. It knows what to do. We used to end my prenatal yoga classes by chanting "I trust in the wisdom of my body. I trust in the wisdom of my baby. I trust in the wisdom of my divine light." Oddly enough, it was calming.

My doc made it clear she wouldn't let me go more than one week past my due date, and had my induction scheduled for months in advance so as to have a hospital bed reserved -- I did not want to be induced, though. I took C to 40 weeks and 4 days, then she decided to make her apearance on the day she was scheduled to be induced.

Try not to worry about the size of the baby. They can be so off on their estimates and worry women unnecessarily. I met a women this past weekend who (years ago) gave birth to an 11 lb, 3 oz baby. Vaginally. I told her I wanted her autograph.

Hang in there, lady!

)

-Lisa

cinnabar66133 responded:
Oh my, you are so close to meeting your LO!! So exciting!! Sending you lots of progress and easy labor vibes!!!

QueenOfStarWars replied to cinnabar66133's response:
I think I asked the doc if there were other options. I mean... I can barely walk at night b/c my lower legs are swollen. haha He said walk. I took a two hour walk earlier this week. Guess I'll try another one tomorrow.

About the dilation... I was dilated the SAME last week. I thought the number would go up, but he said it was fine that the number didn't change.

I don't know why he suggested inducing, but he said 3 days after the due date at the latest. Swelling is bad, but b/p is low 100's over 70, so nice and low.

Hope all of the labor vibes work, ladies!!!! Thanks for listening to me complain all of these months
Jeannie [Me (37); DH (41); DD 22mos (EDD 12/23/2008 but born at 33 wks on 11/9/2008); EDD for 2: 10/18/2010 Pink Team]

Spotlight: Member Stories

Ann 37yr turning 38 in 3wk. DH 37yr Married Sept. 09. DS 19yr &14yr 1st marriage DSS 17yr. Lost a baby boy Oct. 95 due to trisomy. My DH misscarri...More

Helpful Tips

genetic testing and ultrasounds
to all 35+ moms, I was 38 when I received the fabulous news I was expecting, and 39 upon delivery. my blood work came back elevated and i ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful