Skip to content
Jeannie's Birth Story (Long Version)
QueenOfStarWars posted:
Theresa Elizabeth French
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
8:00am
7-lbs 9-oz
19-in

Okay, so on Monday morning, I had my 39 wk D/A appt where the doc said I needed to go into labor or he was inducing the next week.
I was stressed out most of the day. Anyway, remember when I asked if there was anything I could do? Well, I told hubby we had to "have relations" and it was doctor's orders. Well, we laughed about it but thought, heck... let's give it a try. It WAS easier said than done. UGH.

Anyway, I kid you not... less than 45 minutes later, I was in labor. I had the first contraction at 10:16pm. Hubby thought it was very funny. I said I didn't think it would actualy work! Two hours later, it was definitely time to go. We called my FIL to stay over since Catherine was alseep. I think we arrived at the hospital about 1am. At that time, my contractions were 2 mins apart. I was 5 - 6 cm.

The epi was complete by about 2:30am (they were waiting for blood work and for him to come from his house to do the procedure). Then, ahhhh!!! Relief while we wait.

The doc called at 5am and said he'd come on in, break my water and get things going. At 5:30, my water broke naturally. I was also 9 1/2 cm.

When the doc got there (somewhere near 7), I was 10cm, but the baby was still too high. They had me sitting up straight to get some gravity to help. They started pitocin.

I told the doc he could have WARNED me that the "relations advice" was an immediate fix. I had wanted to go to work that day to hand back exams. He laughed and said "You got busy and went into labor? Yup... I should write a book." Anyway, he left for a bit while things progressed.

During this time, I ran out of the epi meds and they had to replace them (I was in a panic that they weren't going to come on time). Drugs came back online and sometime between 7:30 and 8:00 or so, the nurse said we should try to push the baby down. It was just me,
the nurse and hubby. I did three sets of three. It was HARD. I was crying because it was so uncomforable, but I'm not sure it actually HURT. The drugs were still good and strong.

Then the nurse said we needed to get the doc in there. Doc came in and smashed his finger in the unit where he was grabbing for his outfit thing. Then he cries out that he broke his finger. WHAT??? There I was, legs open, baby "down there" and now I have a doc with a broken finger. He said not to panic. He can deliver a baby with a broken finger

Anyway, he was there for 2 pushes, I started to push a third time, and out she flew!!!! The doc plopped her on my belly and said: "Now THAT's what a full term baby looks like!" Hubby got to hold her while the doc stitched me up (2nd degree tears just like the first time). I was so happy. Denny never got to hold Catherine since she was so sick. He was grinning from ear to ear.

Anyway, we were stuck in the delivery room for three more hours b/c the nurse who took so much time to replace the epi unplugged the wrong IV. I was supposed to get a bag of oxytocin (sp?) and she unhooked it. The entire bag dripped onto the floor. So... we started over again.

Later on that day, Denny brought Catherine in to meet her sister. Here is a picture: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=34742753&l=455155e2b5&id=42705848

So far, things are good. Just getting used to being home. I'm tired and sore, but that's to be expected Nursing is going well (more soreness, but I know it'll pass).

Thanks for ALL of your support, ladies. It's hard to get online right now, but I'll be popping in to keep up with your pregnancies. I can't believe I've been on this board since July of 2008. Who would have thought we'd welcome baby girl #2 into our family!!!!????!!!!
Jeannie [Me (37); DH (41); DD 22mos (EDD 12/23/2008 but born at 33 wks on 11/9/2008); EDD for 2: 10/18/2010 Pink Team]

QueenOfStarWars responded:
FYI... I meant to say that Denny's mom passed away from lung cancer last summer. We named her Theresa, after his mother. Elizabeth is also a family name (on his side).
Jeannie [Me (37); DH (41); DD 22mos (EDD 12/23/2008 but born at 33 wks on 11/9/2008); EDD for 2: 10/18/2010 Pink Team]

Janna1016 replied to QueenOfStarWars's response:
Congratulations!!

I am cracking up at you guys "getting busy" and 45 minutes later going into labor. I'm going to try that if my LO isn't here by my due date. I'm not sure how, exactly, but we'll figure it out... Pretty effective, apparently!

So glad things went well and you are home recovering. Enjoy your two precious girls and take care of yourself!
Janna(40), DH(40), DS(12), DD(10), DD(4), Due 11/2/2010, Yellow Team

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to QueenOfStarWars's response:
I am so happy for you Jeannie I wish you and your family love and joy!

aduray responded:
Congrats again! Many blessings to you and your family.
I am so choked up and typing this at work, just overcome with happiness for you!!!!

Get some rest!
Amy

dwaw02 replied to aduray's response:
LOL Jeannie! That's too funny that sex actually worked for you First one I've known! Wonderful birth story and I'm glad you got your FT baby this time...enjoy every minute!
Angela (40), DS (5), DD born 7/18/10

belle38671 responded:
Jeannie!!

Great Birth Story! So Happy Theresa Elizabeth is here and well! Nice that you are doing okay and all home and happy!

Funny about the "relations" segment, I didn't know it would work so well either, Nice to know

Take care, get rest when you can and give both those precious girls sweet hugs and kisses!

Deb
Deb(39) DH(45) DS(15) DD(11) DD(18 Months) DD (5 weeks old)

Scoutabout responded:
Awwww.... I'm all choked up here, Jeannie! SO HAPPY for you and your family! I *love* her name -- so sweet that she's Denny's Mom's namesake. I'm sorry to hear about the tearing, but glad you're all doing well (heh. except for the poor ickle doctorkins finger! heeheehee)

I read through your story and wish I'd managed to write Carys' birth story -- I have notes but still haven't ever put it on paper. Ah, well. One day.

BIG (((((HUGS)))))

-Lisa

Many, many congrats -- keep those pics coming (AFTER you get a nap in.

VicsEandJ responded:
Jeannie,

Sorry for the late response, but I AM SOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!

You are such a nice lady, I am so glad that little Theresa(very pretty name-very nice to name her after her grandma!) stayed put until the perfect time- or until you and DH DTD- soo funny- you really are the only person that I've heard it worked for!!!

You know I just lurked when I was pregnant with my DD- who was due one day before Catherine was ( my Ella was born on Catherine's due date) . I always read your posts because we were due at the same time. I FREAKED OUT when you posted Catherine's birth story IN NOVEMBER- I will never forget it- it was like it happened to me and I held my legs together very tightly until my due date- even though it happened to you!

I am so glad that your worries about Theresa didn't come true and you got a slightly more boring birth story- though DTD and the dr breaking his finger made it interseting

I can't wait to read the next one!!!!

Take care of yourself and your wonderful family!!!

Vickie
Me (42), DH, DS (3 1/4) DD (1 3/4)

cheri320 responded:
Congrats Jeannie, great story! Thanks for the update. Hope you are all doing well!
Cheri (37) DH (40) DS (1/30/09) Baby 2 due 3/9/11!

cinnabar66133 responded:
Congrats!! She is beautiful and I love the pics of the 2 sisters together!! Enjoy every minute!!

QueenOfStarWars replied to cinnabar66133's response:
Thanks, Ladies!

Vickie - I didn't realize! Yes... that was some crazy time with Catherine. I was so stressed out this whole time that I'm glad to have a birth story that's more routine LOL!!!! Who'd have thought ?

It still amazes me that two pregnancies can be THAT different. When my doc was in the hospital during delivery, he told me that one of his patients lost their little one in the early 20wk range. He said that same patient was now at 37 weeks! One never knows.

The whole "getting busy" could be coincidence. I let the doc know it wasn't good! He was laughing. Then I felt badly for hubby - told him it wasn't his fault or anything DOH!

So my LO is one week old today. Yesterday was her due date. I'm still very sore (they said I over did it) and need to back off from activity, but other than that we're doing fine.

I admit, I've supplemented about 2oz of formula per day b/c she nurses and falls asleep so much my nipples are very sore. They are getting better, though.

I had forgotten how many diapers a newborn goes through! Make sure you stock up, ladies

romangirl72 responded:
Congrats! so beautiful, the girls together. Cutest, funniest, happiest birthing story, ever!! Glad things went smoothly and your husband should be proud that he perhaps helped speed things along

I have a similar "getting busy" story with birth of DD last summer.....I just never shared with anyone until now Ha! I truly believe it works, that's for sure! However, it's not the most enjoyable time to do so-more like business than pleasure, right? hee hee

I'm so happy for you and the photos on FB are incredible. It makes me happy for your success & hopeful for our own here. Best wishes to your family & hope the soreness goes down soon for you. Take it easy, mama!

Heather (in Seattle)
Heather (38) DH (43) DD 2-19-97 DD 9/20/09 EDD 1/4/11 Yellow Team!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Ann 37yr turning 38 in 3wk. DH 37yr Married Sept. 09. DS 19yr &14yr 1st marriage DSS 17yr. Lost a baby boy Oct. 95 due to trisomy. My DH misscarri...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.