Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Movin up? :-(
ntherelng posted:
Okay I'm torn, at daycare they are saying DS1 is ready to move to the potty training room. The only catch is that he needs to be in pullups or cloth underwear with the rubber pants. At home he'll ask to go potty about 2X a week and he does go when he asks. On Thursday he went once or twice at daycare, but 3X on Friday! When he is there he'll even tell them he's wet or dirty, no such luck at home.

I think age appropriate activity wise, he's ready, I'm just not ready to bite the $$$ bullet and move him into pull-ups. If I knew the pattern would continue, I'd probably do it.

He is just barely two, so I think he's really ahead of the game, especially for a boy. So far all the potty training has been totally him. We bought a seat, but he is always the one who asks to use it.
Renee (38) DH (43) DS1 10/01/08, DS2 06/20/10 6 lb, 19.5 and so beautiful!  Our Father's Day baby :-)

belle38671 responded:
Renee,

This is tricky to me really, I am one not to push my children too hard so I think what you are doing is fine. Should he move up??? hmmmm....again hard decision, I think if he is being consistent then yeah go ahead and if and only if you are at a point to work with him at home on your time...that is the catch. I was lucky with my son who is now 15, when he turned 2 he got the chicken pox and he and I were home for 1 week together and in that time I was able to work with him each day all day and got him potty trained.
Now that I am a SAHM you would think I have all the time in the world to train Cierra, ummmm no. I am waiting for a week that has little to no activity in it to work with her because I think it takes time and consistency that you can devote to just that.
So my take from my point of view now as a SAHM, work with your schedule and take cues from your son. If he is showing interest and you can take the time out to pursue it, not just doing what daycare wants, then yeah go with it. You don't want to rush him by no means it will back track him. That happened with my oldest daughter, I believe that daycare pushed her too hard and she just eventually flat out refused to use the potty.
You are a great momma and you will "know" when he is ready until you feel it stick with what you are doing

Deb
Deb(39) DH(45) DS(15) DD(12) DD(20 Months) DD (2 months)

ntherelng replied to belle38671's response:
I guess where I am now is that if they want to have him try at daycare that is fine and he'll be in pull-ups. If he wets them, oh well, I'm not worried. I don't think he's 100% ready to work on it at home yet. If he asks, by all means I'll put him on the potty, but he needs to be the one leading it, I'm not going to push.

I think the other factor is that educationally and socially, I'd prefer him to be in the older class because the kids are more his age and skill level. There is a baby in the nursery who is just 14 months and will be moving up into his class and now that he is about 26 months, there is just too much of a difference. He's a monster compared to her, whereas the kids in the potty training class are more 29-36 months and they are more physically his size. He's about 70% for height, so he's on the larger size. I'm also excited to say that he is almost counting to 7 and more than ready to work diligently on colors and shapes as we do a lot of that at home, so I think the older class will be better academically. I talked to the director the other day and she thinks there will be a slot for him right after Thanksgiving, so I think we'll probably do it then.
Renee (38) DH (43) DS1 10/01/08, DS2 06/20/10 6 lb, 19.5 and so beautiful! Our Father's Day baby :-)

VicsEandJ replied to ntherelng's response:
Hi Renee,

I think you should bite the bullet and get him pull-ups for daycare because it seems like he's receptive to being trained, at least at shcool, which can be enough to get the ball rolling.

My DS did much better at daycare than at home. He was 2 1/2 when they really started training him- he was one of the youngest in his class, but one of the biggest (75-90% weight and height). He really had no interest in the potty at home at all.But at school, his friends were older and all doing it, so he did too.

That being said, he really lagged behind at home and we kept him in diapers longer at home and in pull-ups longer at home when he had moved on to underwear at school. He likes to be a baby at home but he loves being one of the gang at daycare so it helped a lot- honestly he would not be potty trained if daycare hadn't really taken the lead with him.

We have a similar dilemma with DD. She is in the 2 year old room where they get potty trained but she doens't turn 2 until the end of December. She's interestred in the potty as a physcial objectand likes to sit next to DS when he's using it but at home she has peed on the potty only once a couple months ago. At school she goes to the potty several times a day with her clas and has peed in the potty numerous time.s DH & I are thinking of trying to jump start her training over CHristmas break, but she will literally be just 2 then, but we know that once they go back in January the push will be on a school. But I do worry that she's still a little too young and it wil delay the whole thing.

The way I see it, one of two things will happen
1) they get it super easy and ultimately save us money on diapers and pull-ups or
2)they don't take to it immediately and will be trained when they are 3ish (hopefully not later!) !

I'm trying to be optimistic ! Good luck!

Vickie

QueenOfStarWars responded:
Renee,
We are in the same situation. Catherine has no problem sitting on the potty, but she tells us she has to go right AFTER she pees in her diaper.

Daycare moved her to the 2yr room a about a month ago and that room also requires pullups. They ARE almost 2x the cost!!!

We still use diapers at home and just use the pull-ups at daycare. Sometimes at home Catherine will wear big girl underpants OVER her diaper. We'll soon do a long weekend where we use undies and the plastic pants and sit her on the potty every 20 minutes, but things are just too crazy here.
Jeannie [Me (37); DH (41); DD 22mos (EDD 12/23/2008 but born at 33 wks on 11/9/2008); EDD for 2: 10/18/2010 Pink Team]

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 41 and have no previous children. I am a "late-bloomer", marrying for the first time just last October at 40. I got pregnant last Dec. ...More

Helpful Tips

A few tips to start
If you?d like to find which board went to which Exchange, then check out Find Your Exchange . You can increase font size by pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.