Skip to content
i feel like the cryptkeeper..pregnant!
bridgemarie posted:
well i was wandering if anyone had any input on the fact that i just found out i am pregnant and i am 42..almost 43 in feb...i have 4 children one turning 24 in week one 20 one 17 and the other 14..2 boys 2 girls..and i was shocked to find out what i thought was menepause or the beginning signs of it turned out to be "congratulations, your 5 weeks pregnant!" than i fainted..so i am in shock. honestly i am . i know the dr isnt lying but i sometimes stop dead in tracks and say ..omg..im pregnant ..people love to scare u and everyone is an expert lol..all i hear is my chances of down syndrome are greater than 50 % and i may not make it thru first tri because im high risk for miscarriage. my other four were healthy normal pregnancies. i am really tired and feel like im showing way too soon..im now 8 weeks and i have a bump..never had that till 4 months before..anyway moral of story..i feel like the crypt keeper , only pregnant..lol..tell me some stuff you know that are true about this bein preg after 40 and is it ok????

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome to the community, Bridgemarie and Congratulations!

Some genetic disorders increase after 35. WebMD has some information that might help, Pregnancy After 35 .

cheri320 responded:
bridgemarie,
Congrats! Yes, there is a lot of scary information out there, but many women have perfectly healthy pregnancies after 40. You will be given access to more testing to insure you are carrying a healthy baby. Good luck to you!
Cheri (37) DH (40) DS (1/30/09) Baby 2 due 3/9/11!

ntherelng replied to cheri320's response:
I know the boards around here seem to be quiet these days, but I'm sure more will jump in to offer reassurance. If you've had 4 other healthy pregnancies, your odds sound good. Over the past few years there have been a lot of women around here who have gone on to have healthy full term pregnancies. I just delivered DS#2 two weeks before my 38th b-day. We are now talking of trying to get pregnant one more time. I'll be close to 40 when I deliver if we do. Stay in close touch with your doctor and your body. DOn't hesitate to call the doctor if you have ANY concerns or odd symptoms. As PP said, you'll be offered more testing. Take those that you want and decline those that you aren't comfortable with.

Here's to a happy and healthy 9 months!
Renee (38) DH (43) DS1 10/01/08, DS2 06/20/10 6 lb, 19.5 and so beautiful! Our Father's Day baby :-)

jlbwondering35 responded:
Congrats to you!!! Quite the shock I'm sure. Good thing, there are SO many tests you can have done to keep up with the health of your growing baby. I'll be 37 when I deliver and had some bad numbers come back from my AFP test. In my experience, if we go for round two I'll skip that blood test and go right for the amnio when I can. I ended up doing the amnio with this pregnancy, which is my 1st and it is the best thing I've ever done. It wasn't painful or scary and I my worst fears were laid to rest very quickly, the baby is healthy! I've been enjoying every day of my pregnancy since that amnio. Just food for thought! Best of luck to you! Here's to a Happy, Healthy 9 months for you!
ME (36) DH (39), EDD 2/28/11 BOY OR GIRL

Janna1016 responded:
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I just had baby #4 in November and turned 41 this month. You're right--it can be scary and there is a lot of info out there that will keep you up at night if you let it.

Like a previous poster, I also had some upsetting results from screening tests (1:30 risk for Down Syndrome) and opted to get an amnio. Once I got the all clear from the amnio, I relaxed and looked forward to having a new baby again.

Based on your age, if you have the screening tests, you will likely get high risk results as well (age really impacts the numbers). The only way to know for sure is a diagnostic test (amnio or CVS). If I was doing it again, I would skip the screens and go straight to amnio. Of course, there are also risks associated with amnio and CVS, but I had to know. For me, the time after screening results before I decided to go for the amnio was the most stressful time in my life. Definitely wouldn't go down that road again.

Best of luck throughout your pregnancy!
Janna(40), DH(40), DS(12), DD(10), DD(4), Due 11/2/2010, Yellow Team

suzieQ440 responded:
You're hilarious! I feel the same way. I'm 40 and just found out i'm pregnant - my husband and I each have two children from prior marraiges, 20, 18, 16 and 14 years old and now a baby on the way! I'm only 7 weeks and I feel like I'm already showing too! I have the same anxiety about the down syndrome and other defects - but from what I've read, more people have healthy pregnancies than not. Best of luck to you!!

dwaw02 replied to suzieQ440's response:
Congratulations!

My DD is now 7 months old, and I was 40 1/2 when I had her. Unlike the pp's, I had very good results from my screens and opted not to have any further testing done. So good results can happen even with AMA.

DD is very happy and healthy and is the light of our lives.

Good luck!
Angela (40), DS (5), DD born 7/18/10

Spotlight: Member Stories

Nevaeh Shanea Born 2/24/10 2lbs 14oz 14 3/4in long. She's 11 weeks early but has been breathing on her own since about 6hrs after birth. She's...More

Helpful Tips

A few tips to start
If you?d like to find which board went to which Exchange, then check out Find Your Exchange . You can increase font size by pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.