Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Starting over at 42
An_220446 posted:
Just found out I'm pregnant at 42! Not totally unexpected, but a surprise nonetheless. I have two daughters, ages 17 and 14. I'm going through a lot of different emotions right now - mainly between - oh, wow! and oh crap! My question to other "older" moms is, is this pregnancy different for you than previous ones?

ericajbusse responded:
I'm 35 and have 2 boys already- 6 and 4. I am just over 9 weeks along. I feel like this pregnancy is kicking my butt. I sailed through the other 2 with typical pregnancy complaints (sore boobs, peeing all the time, even a little morning sickness) but nothing that really slowed me down. No morning sickness so far with this one but I'm dizzy, weak, soooo tired all the time and just overall cranky. I don't know if it's the age or not but this is very different from my prior pregnancies.

I sure hope 2nd trimester brings more energy!
Erica (35) DH Lewis (33) DS1 Gavin 1/19/05 DS2 Nathan 6/27/06 3 EDD 9/4/11. Hoping for pink but thinking blue again!

An_220447 replied to ericajbusse's response:
I am definitely more tired this time around. Dizzy and nauseous too. I vomited a lot the first two times, but just very very nauseated this time. The rx my doc gave me for it works but causes constipation. I can handle going thru another summer big as a house like with my first two. I can deal with being uncomfortable and not being able to see my feet. But nausea I can't deal with so well. Hoping this eases up in the next few weeks.

suzieQ440 responded:
OMgosh! We're living parallel lives! I'm 40, with 18 and 14 year old girls and just found out I'm pregnant! I'm about 7 weeks along and I feel wonderful. I think I'm in better shape then I was during my first two pregnancies and think that helps. Of course, by 8:00 PM I'm competely wiped out and ready for bed - but that's not much different than before I got pregnant. I just worry about the defects that come along with babies concieved to older mothers. It's making me very anxious because I have a step-son with all kinds of physical and mental disabilities. These weren't genetic, but I'm still nervous because two kids with issues might be a little much for me to handle.

aimeebryant replied to suzieQ440's response:
The nausea has eased up a lot. Smells still bother me but the morning sickness is pretty much over. The acid reflux is going full force now. It started later with this one. With my first two I had it the first six weeks. I was so intent on keeping something on my stomach at all times to keep the nausea at bay that I gained 15 pounds in the last two months. So I gotta eat smart from here on out. Good thing I don't crave fried or fatty foods because that was my weakness in past pregnancies.

lbean1975 replied to aimeebryant's response:
Well good luck to all you ladies. I am 36 and have a 16yr old and will be 13 weeks this Saturday with my 2nd child I've had 2 chemical pregnancies out of the 4. This time around I too can relate, to date there has been LOTS of nausea, sensitivity to smells that I once loved, body aches, massive head pounding, ANXIOUSLY awaiting 2nd trimester (maybe I'll get some relief) sigh ... I just don't remember it being like this with my first child. Well anyway, thanks for sharing, and good luck all. :)

chicago0672 responded:
I'm 38 and I'm 26 weeks in. I have a 17 yr old daughter and an 11 yr old son. It seems like this pregnancy is taking a toll on me for real! However, they say every pregnancy is different, but with this one, I was sick and nauseaous just like I was with my daughter. She had me sick the first three months then I craved Burger King Whoppers..with this "Baby Girl" I'm craving McDonalds Big Macs! We found out it was a girl about 4 wks ago, but I kinda knew it was because I was sick as a dog with my first daughter. With my son, I had NO SICKNESS or cravings at all! Not sure if I'll have another, this is the first for US and third for me..LOL, we'll just take one day at a time.

eross168 responded:
Good luck! I'm 43 and just found out I'm PG w/ my first! I worry a lot also about the possible birth defects associated w/ advanced maternal age (I hate that term).

scotlandyard replied to eross168's response:
I am 43 and 37 weeks pregnant with my first child.
Sure, we had lots of hesitation about birth defects with our son, but we are not getting rid of him, so we chose not to do amnio or CVS.
We are excited, scared, and thrilled all at the same time.

I had the corpus luteum cyst burst at about 12 to 14 weeks. Luckily, some internal bleeding that was absorbed by the body and that was all.
I have been on modified bedrest for two months with preterm labor.
I did this to myself with my work schedule of 12 hour days and the stress of my position.
Other than the nausea for six months, I have enjoyed it. I am amazed that I have been given the chance to have this child. Now, if I can just make it through the delivery !

snh571 responded:
I am 36 and 28 weeks with my second child. This time has been easier and harder in some respects. Last time I was on bed rest at 31 weeks, this time I was put on bed rest at 8 weeks. So I guess the first was preparing me for the second.

QueenOfStarWars replied to snh571's response:
You never what'll happen :) My first was born at 33 weeks (no warning). I spent most of the second pregnancy worrying, but she was born full-term! Go figure :)
Jeannie [Me (38); DH (41); DD 2 yrs 5 mos (EDD 12/23/2008 but born at 33 wks on 11/9/2008); DD 6 mos (EDD 10/18/2010 and born on 10/12/2010)]

natyler responded:
I'm 43; my kids ages are 18, 17, and 11. This was a surprise; however, this has been the BEST pregnancy I've had! I'm a stay at home mom and unemployed. I think this accounts for me having less stress and the annoying emotional roller coaster ride. So glad that I do not work! How are you doing I noticed you logged in 4 mths ago?

Spotlight: Member Stories

After years of the Doctors telling me I wouldn't have a baby due to female troubles and since 2001 my diabetes. I had a surprise baby 5/24/2009. I...More

Helpful Tips

genetic testing and ultrasounds
to all 35+ moms, I was 38 when I received the fabulous news I was expecting, and 39 upon delivery. my blood work came back elevated and i ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.