Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Measurements off?
UKbluegirl2 posted:
hi ladies, anyone else experienced this..this is my 4th pregnancy.

had my 1st u/s today. the tech didn't seem that jovial, figured that perhaps it was because DH and I still seemed to be in shock (we have 3 children under 5YO).

got to meet the ob and found out why. my dates say 10 weeks, my measurements say 8 weeks. and there was an indication of uterine bleeding. but there was a very strong heartbeat. so he says with that heartbeat there is an 8% chance of m/c. all in all good odds I guess. but now I'm a mess. I saw my baby and now it may die.

we go back in two weeks for a new u/s. he said it will have corrected itself either way by then. he says perhaps I ovulated later which tends to happen as women age.

has anyone experienced this and went on to deliver a baby?

VicsEandJ responded:
Hi Lynn,
Did you post about this anywhere else and I missed it or are you keeping it mum for now? I like here to chek in on people who are due or had babiesaround the time I did nad still post.

Try not to worry, I think the strong heartbeat is the most important thing. Could your dates be off? As we get older, its possible to ovulate at different times during the month? Is your cycle more than 28 days or a bit erratic. i don't think its totally uncommon for dates and measurements to be off early in a pregnancy.
When I was pregnant with #2, at our 8 week viability scan ( nice name, huh) the tech saw somethng weird, asked if we had had in vitro and then went to get the dr. She was seeing something weird, thought it might be a twin (yikes- we only wanted 2 and DS was under 1 at the time) but it turned out to be nothing ( I forget what, because I tend to block out scary things!)

Both my kids were overdue and in no hurry to come out when their due dates came. No one picked up on it because they are both tall ( and DS has a big head) and the measurements they use include leg length and head circumference but I think its because I ovulated later in the cycle (I used ovulation kits to conceive, othewise I might not have known that) and they weren't as past due as they were thought to be.

I'm thinking good thoughts for you I always knew you'd have at least 4! Hopefully the 2 weeks pass quickly for you.
(((HUGS)))

Vickie

UKbluegirl2 replied to VicsEandJ's response:
Thanks Vickie. I'd actually intended to post anon in case any of the trolls (meanies) that used to post on the other boards were looking around. But obviously I'm not so good with the anon posting. :-)

I sent Steph an email but other than that. Nobody else 'knows.' I expected to have better 'news' yesterday.

The doctor said we'd know one way or the other in two weeks. Day 1 is nearly over.

I do think my ovulation is off. I've always been all over the place. I was tracking my fertility via an app and thought we were in the 'safe' zone so the fact that I'm preggo does make me wonder more about the ovulation.

The blood is my concern. DH did remind me several times last night that the doctor said that the blood is not infrequent.

VicsEandJ replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
When I was pregnant with James I bled off and on from about 18 weeks until into the 30s. I went to L& D more than half a dozen times but the doctors could never find any reason for it or exactly where it was coming from. It was scary but all the extra checks calmed me down some in general becuse i aas realy nervous just being pregnant.

I know all of the meanies are not young, but hopefully they don't come here.

If you want, email me at viclou1968@hotmail.com and I'll give you my work email address too- I can't check the hotmail here, so I'll do it at home tonight.

I havne't checked over here in a few weeks- I've ben busy at work- but I'm glad I did. :-) I respodned to the psot about Mia before I even saw this, maybe I should head to Vegas!

Again, try not to worry too much! Do you have m/s in addition to your issues from last? Poor you!

UKbluegirl2 replied to VicsEandJ's response:
Thanks Vickie. I really appreciate your support.

DH and I were really in shock even at the u/s yesterday. We've joked about #4, but DH said he thought it would be a while (not sure why given our history). But when I saw that hb, wowza. That's my baby. You know the feeling; I think it's one a mom never forgets.

I had a break down earlier. Shut my office door and got out the tissue. Unfortunately nobody except DH knows IRL. So you and Steph have been my support other than DH and of course Ava. She asked if I was sad yesterday because I had to work all day and didn't get a chance to play. She then proceeded to make funny faces to make me happy again. :-)

VicsEandJ replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
That's why kids are great!! They may drive you nuts and make you worry a lot, but theirsweetness and love makes it all worth it! :-)

Mums the word from me until you want others to know.

I don't know if I ever told you this but I'm rooting for you to have six, so you still have a ways to go-make sure your DH knows this!

Hang in there!You'll be seeing #4s heartbeat again at the next u/s before you know it. :-)

cheri320 replied to VicsEandJ's response:
Hi Lynn!

Glad to see you back here again! Just jumping in to say hello and welcome back. Hopefully everything is going better for you and your new LO now!
Cheri (37) DH (40) DS (1/30/09) Baby 2 due 3/9/11!

UKbluegirl2 replied to cheri320's response:
Thanks Cheri. No news is good news I hope. Nothing is going on with me. So if things remain the same, I will have another u/s on the 7th and hopefully see a strong hb again.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Nevaeh Shanea Born 2/24/10 2lbs 14oz 14 3/4in long. She's 11 weeks early but has been breathing on her own since about 6hrs after birth. She's...More

Helpful Tips

genetic testing and ultrasounds
to all 35+ moms, I was 38 when I received the fabulous news I was expecting, and 39 upon delivery. my blood work came back elevated and i ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.