Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Period after nursing is completed
Robincote posted:
I am a 37 year old Mom to a 13 month old (after 2 miscarriages).....I recently stopped nursing him and finally got my first period last month. It was a normal period.....and it started on February 6th.

Here it is March, 11th and I have not gotten another one yet. Does this seem normal? does anyone know?

I still have about 15 baby lbs left to loose and I'm wondering if that is affecting things, or if my hormones are just out of whack? I'm not pregnant, so I'm not sure what is going on.....any feedback would be appreciated!!!

QueenOfStarWars responded:
I stopped nursing after my LO weaned herself after 11 months of nursing. I had only three cycles between then and getting pregnant w/ number 2, but they were NOT regular. There was a long time between the first and second, then a short time between the second and third, then... well....nursing again, so I'm enjoying a nice break!

I figured it was normal to not be regular immediately...
Jeannie [Me (37); DH (41); DD 22mos (EDD 12/23/2008 but born at 33 wks on 11/9/2008); EDD for 2: 10/18/2010 Pink Team]

Janna1016 replied to QueenOfStarWars's response:
I used to be super regular--every 28 days exactly. After I had my 3rd child my period came back after weaning her at 14 months old. I was 37 at the time. From then until I got pregnant with #4 my cycles were not nearly as regular as before. They ranged from 25-32 days. I asked my doctor and she said it's very common for cycles to change with age. I'm still nursing so no period yet--I'm on "vacation" like Jeannie!

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it could very well be normal, and it could change again next cycle and that could be normal too, lol.
Janna(41), DH(41), DS(13), DD(10), DD(5), DD born 11/8/10

QueenOfStarWars replied to Janna1016's response:
I hear you. Vacation it is!!! I've had three cycles since spring 2008. hahaha... It's gonna be a bummer when I finish nursing Theresa!!!
Jeannie [Me (37); DH (41); DD 22mos (EDD 12/23/2008 but born at 33 wks on 11/9/2008); EDD for 2: 10/18/2010 Pink Team]

Janna1016 replied to QueenOfStarWars's response:
You could always go for #3!!! Come on in.....the water's fine!

QueenOfStarWars replied to Janna1016's response:
Janna,
I'm soooo for having #3. Hubby is a big NO on that ;) You never know.... maybe he'll change his mind. He says we'll be out numbered :)

phoenix31674 replied to QueenOfStarWars's response:
one of J's cousins had #3 around Christmas and another is expecting #3. SIL has 3 and MIL was asking us if we were going to have a third. We are both firmly in the no camp since we have our hands full with 2. Not to mention the fact he's in the Navy and will be going on 6 month deployments or so and I don't know that i would be up for handling 3 on my own for that long. Heck, sometimes 1 for this last summer's 3 month deployment was overwhelming (of course I was also pregnant) and dealing with both when he's gone for 4-5 days is pretty rough.

But it's a personal decision and I bow down to anyone with more than 2. :)

Janna1016 replied to phoenix31674's response:
It took us a looooong time to decide whether or not to go past 2, and actually we were not TTC when I got pregnant with #3. We just had a little too much champagne one night during an overnight getaway :-)

We had talked and talked about it but just couldn't get off the fence. We were happy (once we got over being surprised) and still are, but you're right Phoenix--we are outnumbered! Now we're REALLY outnumbered with 4! But as we tell the kids all the time, our household isn't a democracy, lol.

Jeannie--good luck convincing hubby! You could always try a bottle of champagne!

phoenix31674 replied to Janna1016's response:
For us we would have to start trying now (DS is 6 months) but there's no aunt flo and with breast feeding, not likely since it was close to a year with DD before I got it. The time frame is because we'll be moving back to the States next March/april and we'd need the time to get a passport (though they could expedite it) or the kids and I would have to go back to the US early and stay with his folks. We decided it's just not ideal for me to have a baby while he's assigned to a ship because you never know when he would be underway or deployed. For us, being 40-41 and having a third would just be too late. LOL as it is we look at the fact that we'll be 54 when DS is sent off to college and while not quite counting the days, we look forward to regaining some freedom.

On the upside, by waiting until our early 30s to have the first we got to do things like vacations in Hawaii and deciding on Thursday to go to Vegas for the weekend and me flying up to meet his ship in Vancouver. it'll be a little more difficult this time, but with my mom retired and an easy Southwest flight away we might be able to coax her to come visit for a while and watch the kids over a weekend. Not sure about his mom, she hates flying by herself and is really involved with helping SIL with her 3 boys, so getting her to visit for more than a week would be difficult.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Ann 37yr turning 38 in 3wk. DH 37yr Married Sept. 09. DS 19yr &14yr 1st marriage DSS 17yr. Lost a baby boy Oct. 95 due to trisomy. My DH misscarri...More

Helpful Tips

A few tips to start
If you?d like to find which board went to which Exchange, then check out Find Your Exchange . You can increase font size by pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.