Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mother Debating DH About Circumcision!
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello Mommies,

Circumcision is always a hot topic on WebMD. I thought you ladies might like to check out the this debate on the Parenting community and share your views!

Do you think the DH should decide if their son should be circumcised?

QueenOfStarWars responded:
I'm kind of glad I had another girl :) My brother's aren't circumsized and my nephew in Ireland isn't either. My nephews here (USA) are.

I said I wouldn't have my son (if I had one) circumsized, but my hubby said he WOULD. I said there was no medical reason for it and don't say cleanliness as an excuse. We ended up having a girl, so our debate continue, but I don't know what decision we would have made. I think I would probably have caved....
Jeannie [Me (37); DH (41); DD 22mos (EDD 12/23/2008 but born at 33 wks on 11/9/2008); EDD for 2: 10/18/2010 Pink Team]

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to QueenOfStarWars's response:
Hi Jeannie,

This is always a difficult debate with many parents. I have 2 boys circumcised and a step son who was not.

It would be interesting to know how young women feel about having a possible SO who is/isn't circumcised?

QueenOfStarWars replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
DOH! I have two typos! Sorry... I meant "...brothers aren't..." and "...our debate didn't continue..." Still not getting a full night's sleep :)

Anyway, I asked my SIL about it (they live in Ireland). They didn't circumsize my nephew. It seems to be a cultural thing here in the states to be circumsized.
Jeannie [Me (37); DH (41); DD 22mos (EDD 12/23/2008 but born at 33 wks on 11/9/2008); EDD for 2: 10/18/2010 Pink Team]

beachkiwi responded:
Luckily my husband didn't want to have our son circumcised becuase I was very opposed to it. It's just not something that is really done in the rest of the world - it seems so barbaric and people are just so flippant about talking about doing it - I find it pretty shocking but I generally keep my views to myself. I have found that most women leave the decision to their husbands who generally do whatever was done to them, I've met a number of people who didn't think too much about it - I think this is becuase culturally here it is just something that is done. One thing I did read recently was that since insurance companies stopped covering the proceedure the rate of babies having it fell from somewhere around 80% to just below 50%. I also think if a couple can't decide you can always say lets leave the decision to our baby - when he is older he can always decide he want's to be circumcised.

That's my 2 cents...

Alison
Me (40) DH (43) Zane

QueenOfStarWars replied to beachkiwi's response:
Hi, Alison!

I don't see the point. I have two sisters who have boys. They both circumsized their kids.

It's not a good option later on, though. It's a very traumatic sugery.

I believe most reasons people do it now is because their sons will get made fun of in locker rooms, etc. So sad :(

aduray responded:
My son was born while we were living in Belgium. He spent the night in the NICU because they didnt suction him out. Anyway, they didnt do it because he had a rough start. I brought him back a few weeks later to have it done under light anesthesia and they looked at me like I was mad. They asked "whats wrong with his penis that you feel he needs to be circumcized?" I said nothing, just want him to look like his dad I guess.
They thought I was being a "silly American" and told me to go home. To this day, he is still uncircumcized and doesnt really have an issue with it (he's almost 12) he does need to make an effort to keep the area clean. (boys can overlook that part) he knows he looks different but he really doesn't care. He's happy and I'm sure it's not gonna stop him from getting the ladies :)
So, I guess it's a personal choice. I think the concensus is about 50/50 these days.
If I was in a committed, monogomas relationship and my partner was uncircumcized, it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Thanks!

snh571 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
From personal experience, get your sons circumcised. My husband is from Mexico and is not circumcised, and let me tell ya, I have been prone to urinary tract infections and yeast infections since we got together 14 years ago. I had never had any type of infection prior to being with my DH. Trust me your DDL will thank you. When my DS was born I had him circumcied, DH had absoluty no say in the matter. Although the first time my ML did a diaper change I got a terrified look and " Why would you do that to him?). Oh well she got over it.

lbean1975 responded:
Yes, personally I also think its a cultural thing. My son is circumcised and I didn't think twice when questioned about this when in the hospital. It broke my heart hearing my LO cry for a few moments but overall I feel its more sanitary for them, and yes I feel if dad was circumcised so should their sons. It seems to be more common here in the USA.

jlenn responded:
It's not really a cultural thing anymore in the US. The CDC recently released numbers -- only about a third of baby boys are circumcised. Now, in reality more undergo the surgery than just a third, because that number does not include circumcisions that are paid for out-of-pocket (rather than by insurance). But the fact is that an uncircumcised child will really not be made fun of in the locker room -- probably half the boys there will look like him anyway. So the "it's cultural here" or "everyone does it, I don't want my son to stick out" reasons don't really hold water now. It's a personal choice, and a hard one especially for those of us who grew up in the "everyone is circumcised" days -- which seems not too long ago.

I had my first two circumcised (they are much older, both teens). I'm having a boy this time around, and my DH and I have decided not to.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm in my 40's & trying to conceive. Jesus is my Lord & Savior. Without Him I am NOTHING. I have been married for a over 20 years. We ...More

Helpful Tips

A few tips to start
If you?d like to find which board went to which Exchange, then check out Find Your Exchange . You can increase font size by pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.