Skip to content
When does the ultrasound detect the foetal heartbeat?
Yaminina posted:
I'm so confused. My first scan was 2 weeks ago when the foetus or the gestational sac was measured and estimated to be 4 and a half weeks old. But they couldn't find any sign of cardiac activity. They asked me to come back in a couple of weeks - so I'm due for the next scan on Monday, the 28th. The first doc who saw me was v. concerned at lack of cardiac activity; but from what I've read, it might have been too early... what have others' experiences been?
I'm really anxious about the 28th

Thanks,
Nina

phoenix31674 responded:
Everything I've read is it shows up between 6 and 8 weeks and is why a lot of docs won't see a patient before 8 weeks. Heck, some wait until 12 because there is really no treatment to save a pregnancy at that point - but i think some of that may be insurance driven or because of the lack of OBs in an area they don't have the room in their schedule to see women that early.

I wouldn't worry until after the 8 week point and then would still wait another week or two because not everyone ovulates at the same point in their cycle.

Yaminina replied to phoenix31674's response:
Thanks! Breathing a little more easily!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

42 yo, M 15 years, dd 8 , dd 5, due date 2/9/11

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.