Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pregnant at 39
tldye519 posted:
Hello everyone
im due 12-26-2001 and it was totaly not expected we have had 2 misscarages and the last one was 21/2 yrs ago so we thought we were not able to get pg again and was going to go to the dr to see about getting my tubs tied .
My dr wants me to start progesterone from 16 weeks on and i dont know any thing about it . If i could get some info that would be Awsome
Have a great day everyone
Theresa

QueenOfStarWars responded:
I don't know :( Hopefully someone has had a similar experience and can chime in.
Jeannie (38); DH (41); DD 1 - EDD 12/23/2008 but born at 33 wks on 11/9/2008 DD 2 - EDD 10/18/2010 and born on 10/12/2010

tldye519 replied to QueenOfStarWars's response:
I read upon the progestrone shots or pills and it is a common hormone that can be lacking in people over 35 so thats why she wants to do the shots

Grahambee responded:
Hi there! And congratulations! My doctor put me on progesterone around week 6. I had a m/c in January, and he thought that the cause was low progesterone due to the timing (10 weeks). From what I understand, progesterone helps your body keep the pregnancy until your placenta kicks in and produces whatever hormones are needed. But that happens at around 12 weeks, so I'm not sure why your doctor would want you to start at 16 weeks. I'm just over 12 weeks now, and my doctor said I can stop whenever my prescription runs out. There are loads of women who take progesterone and have successful pregnancies. It's very common.

You can do a search on the Pregnancy After Loss board and find lots of progesterone-related discussions. That's a really great board for support, and it seems to be more active than this one. Hope that helps!

tldye519 responded:
oops i ment 2011 hahaha .

tldye519 responded:
well I have ben doing Reasearch about the shots and it is to help prevent preterm laborsince both of our kids were born early she is trying to prevent that this time around

Spotlight: Member Stories

Wow! I'm back! Let's see I am NOT 42 anymore (though I was when I joined up to follow my pg!) I am now 46 - and will be turning 47 this year. ...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.