Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pregnant @ 42 with MS
kevkylekorey posted:
Hi,

My name is Rachel, I am 42 and found out a week ago that I am pregnant. Saw my OB 2 days ago and he said I am 6 weeks along. I am both scared and excited. I have 3 boys - 13, 12 & 8 and this is my 5th pregnancy. I had a miscarriage 2 years ago and I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) on Feb. 9, 2010. So far, I am doing well with my MS since there are no major flare ups except for some numbness and tingly sensations on my right thumb, pointer and index fingers. I stopped my medication, with my neurologist's approval the day I found out I was pregnant. I hope this pregnancy will go well. My husband and I haven't announced it yet. We wanted to make sure that the baby's fine before we tell the kids because they were really saddened with my last pregnancy. There was no heartbeat at 10 weeks.

Is there any member out here that is or was in the same situation as I am today? I mean, pregnant at 42 with MS?

I wish everyone well and enjoy your pregnancy!

Rachel

74MyCrazyLife responded:
Hi Rachel,

Well I am 37 w/ms and just took a pregnancy test yesterday and it was positive! To our surprise, because we were not planning on having anymore children. We have two sons 12 & 7. I believe I am 5 weeks along. I was dx w/ms last Nov and am doing really well. My dilemma is that I am very overwhelmed about finding this out. I am worried that this baby will have either a birth defect or down syndrome because I have ms. Is that true do you know? I have a ob/gyn appt this thursday so I plan on asking all of my questions. I'm still very conflicted and not sure if I will end this pregnancy or not.

How are you doing?

Willoremma responded:
I am 41 and am 10 weeks pregnant. I was diagnosed with MS back in 1994 right after my husband and I married and choose not to have children because we did not know the course of the disease. I have done very well over the last 17 years and surprise I am now pregnant which was not planned and we did not think could happen. We did get a heart beat on the ultrasound this week so things are going fine for us.

TCKArchi responded:
I'm 35. I found out I on the same day that I was pregnant and that I had MS (to be accurate- that day I was told that I had multiple lesions on my spinal cord consistant with MS, the diagnosis has since been confirmed).

Everything seems to be going well so far (I'm only at 11 weeks right now)....

alisonb73 replied to TCKArchi's response:
38 and TTC and have MS. Diagnosed in 2007.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm in my 40's & trying to conceive. Jesus is my Lord & Savior. Without Him I am NOTHING. I have been married for a over 20 years. We ...More

Helpful Tips

genetic testing and ultrasounds
to all 35+ moms, I was 38 when I received the fabulous news I was expecting, and 39 upon delivery. my blood work came back elevated and i ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.