Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do past healthy babies indicate better chance of another healthy child?
Anon_239187 posted:
I have had two normal pregnancies resulting in two healthy children who were born before I was 35. I am now 37 and considering getting pregnant again. Can anyone refer me to research, statistics, online resources or studies that discuss whether past healthy pregnancies and births indicate a greater likelihood that the next one would be healthy also? I'm wondering about how past experience affects the probability of future problems in subsequent pregnancies.

You can drive yourself crazy thinking about this stuff, I know. My husband worries that because we have had two healthy kids already, "rolling the dice" again might mean we're more likely to have problems because our luck might run out. My perspective is that while nothing is certain and every pregnancy is unique and carries its own risks, past success conceiving and bearing healthy children might indicate a greater likelihood of another healthy pregnancy than if a woman began trying get pregnant for the first time after age 35.

I'd also be interested in hearing about personal experiences.

clairemariebelle responded:
I just wanted to respond with my experience: I have 2 children from a previous marriage, while in my 20's. Both were full term healthy babies.
I have since divorced and remarried and my current Hubby and I were interested in having children. My hubby was 40 and I was 35 turned 36 once delivering our first child together. She was a healthy full term baby, I had no complications during pregnancy. We have had a second child my being 38 and he being 43 she was a healthy full term baby. I had no complications with that pregnancy either.

My thoughts are to go with your history and any health concerns your hubby could or does have. If you have had healthy pregancies before and are healthy when you conceive I don't see any reason for concern. My Dr, feels that way as well...I am currently 12 1/2 weeks along with our third child and I turned 40 earlier this year. My Dr. was not concerned about my age at all since all my previous pregnancies were fine and I was as well.
I do knot that every pregnancy is different, as I have "felt" different and had different pains and aches with each one, this current one is no different. I don't view that as a complication. Good luck and I honestly don't believe being "older" should make you worry any less than being young.
Good luck!

Anon_174905 responded:
On my 41st birthday I found out I was pregnant and 9 months later had a HH 8lb 7oz boy. I had not one problem during the pregnancy, no aches, pains,high blood pressure, morning sickness and I only gained 3lbs. Now I'm pregnant again and so far so good. I will be 43 when my next child is born. Hope that helps.... Good Luck

phoenix31674 responded:
I had DD when I was 31/32 (she was born 5 weeks after my birthday). For DS, he was born when I was 36. Both were perfectly healthy with very easy symptom free pregnancies.

SIL had her first at 21, next two at 29 and 31. The first two are perfectly healthy boys. The third is being checked for possible autism or whether he has some sort of hearing issue that has led to his speech delays (he's almost 5 and pretty much non-verbal). There is no history of autism in either family, but he has displayed tendencies since little.

I guess I'm just saying that every pregnancy is a roll of the dice, though if there is no history of what are generally considered genetic abnormalities the odds of a healthy pregnancy are high.

The big thing to note is that the incidence of Down Syndrome does go up with maternal age, but it's still a pretty low incidence. This is something there does not seem to be too much genetic correlation to, though if DS runs in the family, the rate of incidence is slightly higher.

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

genetic testing and ultrasounds
to all 35+ moms, I was 38 when I received the fabulous news I was expecting, and 39 upon delivery. my blood work came back elevated and i ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.