Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Risk of Down Syndrome
sndaygrl posted:
I was recently told by my genetic counselor that there's a 1 in 42 chance of our baby having Downs. I am 36 and 13 weeks pregnant with my first child. The results came after my first level II ultrasound and bloodwork. The invasiveness of an amnio scares me but I don't know how we will go the next 6 months not knowing. The results wouldn't change anything except give us peace of mind (or help us to prepare). I'd definitely opt for the 16 wk ultrasound over the amnio but if the results of that aren't accurate enough, we'll be back at square one.

akm33 responded:
I have not been in your situation! I am a Christian and I believe in prayer. If you are a prayer, I would pray for
God's will. All of the tests like amnio are very risky. I wouldn't take the chance. I would also pray for God to give me a peace and help me to try to relax so you can enjoy the pregnancy! I know it is hard! I am a worry wart! I looked on the community, because I will be 35 next year and we are considering having another baby. I was looking to see what those on this community had to say about pregnancy after 35. Hope all goes well! There are markers that indicate downs in the ultrasound. They will know if there is a concern!

phoenix31674 responded:
I know how you feel. I knew that going into the ultrasound that whatever the results it would not change anything.

For both my pregnancies the 'big' ultrasound was at 20 weeks. That was the 30 minute or so one where the organs and such were checked. It all came up negative, but I just knew that I would not be able to handle an amnio or CVS given the (admittedly small) risk of miscarriage. I do know that knowing for sure does give some peace of mind and time to prepare. I was just ready to go all Zen.

Remember, while 1 in 42 does sound pretty scary, that is still a fairly low chance. It's not like 1 in 5 or something that sounds like more of a sure thing.

Best of luck to you in what you choose.

sabailey08 responded:
Level II ultrasound will tell you more than you think. I had mine last week and they could tell me the measurements of nose and of fingers if she had Down's or not. If it is not going to change the outcome of the pregnancy, just pray and go for level II. My opinion,

my3boysandagirl responded:
I am 9 weeks pregnant and am 42. When I was 38, I found out at 10 weeks along that the baby had DS. I chose to have the CVS at 11 weeks (it is similiar to an amnio, but can be done earlier). Although your ultrasound and bloodwork came out with bad numbers, it does not mean your baby will have DS. The often come out wrong. My chances now are even more than 1 in 42. I am VERY worried that this baby too, will have DS. I too, will choose to keep it. Keep me posted!!

An_243042 responded:
I just joined this community, and was wondering if you've given birth yet. My advice would have been to simply be in the know. If you're certain that you won't be able to handle a child with Ds, then you've already made your decision. If you just went with it and hoped for the best, it would be smart for you to do a bit of research as to what you're facing after you give birth. I had a surprise child with Ds, and though I'm glad I never did the amnio to risk the pregnancy, I do wish I knew what was ahead of me. And my odds, btw, were 1 in 242. We won the lottery! And there's a ton of support out there for you, should your new baby have Ds. Please let me know how you're doing. My thoughts are with you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Nevaeh Shanea Born 2/24/10 2lbs 14oz 14 3/4in long. She's 11 weeks early but has been breathing on her own since about 6hrs after birth. She's...More

Helpful Tips

genetic testing and ultrasounds
to all 35+ moms, I was 38 when I received the fabulous news I was expecting, and 39 upon delivery. my blood work came back elevated and i ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.