Skip to content
pregnant at 38?
HeidiandPascal posted:
Hi, I am a 38 y/o mom of 3 children 16 y/o, 10 y/o, and 6 y/o. I had my tubes tied after my son was born and up until about 3 weeks ago have had no thoughts of being pregnant. I've taken 2 pregnancy tests and they have both been negative, but feel I very well could be pregnant. For 6 years I worked a very stressful job and had exposure to a very toxic chemical. Then a year ago I switched jobs and stress wise and health wise my job is amazing. I do not smoke or drink - I walk quite a bit and try to eat healthy, but do enjoy sodas from time to time. I am thinking I have seen actual signs that do point to pregnancy, but never had morrning sickness. I am a bit overweight and so do not have any actual baby bump to show, but when I was pregnant with my son that was also the case. In my previous pregnancies, my period has completely stopped almost immediately - which were also ways I knew for sure. I have had bleedding (very similar to my cycle) the entire time now, but my breasts and vagina have changed. I also believe myself to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20/22 weeks along. Hubby and I have whole months where we are not intimate so believe that is the reason we would be so far along now. I also have a lot of lower back pain and also throughout my legs/joints - my second child sat on my sciatic nerve the whole pregnancy and the feelings are very similar. I believe I have, on several occassions, felt fast jerky sharp kicks this past week. Is there any other way to know for sure if you are pregnant before going to see a dr.? Hubby just changed jobs and his insurance has kicked in, but we just haven't taken a moment to schedule an exam. Thanks so much for any insight.

phoenix31674 responded:
Just focusing on the fact you had your tubes tied, you really need to see a doctor immediately if you think you might be pregnant because there is a chance if you are that it would be a tubal pregnancy. It would be good to get confirmation one way or the other.

flowmj responded:
If you really are pregnant a simple blood test will confirm it, also, if you're as far along as you think you are, you should be able to feel your uterus somewhere near your belly button and be able to hear the babies heartbeat with a doppler thingy or even a stethescope.

HeidiandPascal replied to flowmj's response:
I have a dr.'s appt this coming wednesday and so we shall see what the dr. says but my abdomine has expanded a lot since I posted this - will keep you posted - thanks in advance for the help a nd advice.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a mother of two teenage boys ages 18 and 16 from my previous marriage. I am pregnant with my child at the age of 39 years old. The father is 44 y...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.