Skip to content
No children yet...
bscholz9206 posted:
and I will be 35 in January.Is there really a higher risk for problems if I do get pregnant after 35? My husband and I have been talking more about starting a family but I am worried about all the problems I could encounter.I am going to be going to an OBGYN in a week due to an abnormal pap smear.

ami_nix responded:
At 35-36 you are considered AMA (Advanced maternal age) and will be considered "high-risk". However, the risks at your age are much lower than if you were older. I had my son at age 36 (he's 6 months old) and I had some problems (gestational diabetes and preeclampsia) but, they could all be attributed to being overweight, My sweet little one is completely healthy. Also, at age 35, because you are considered high-risk your insurance will cover alot more visits and ultrasounds and my OB said that AMA moms receive more specialized attention in order to avoid any issues. At this point, if you want to be a mother, I wouldn't let your age deter you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 35yrs old and have a 19 year old son, five year old son, and a four year old son. All boys, but I always wanted a girl! So one last chance for me...More

Helpful Tips

genetic testing and ultrasounds
to all 35+ moms, I was 38 when I received the fabulous news I was expecting, and 39 upon delivery. my blood work came back elevated and i ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.