Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is ultrasound or blood work better indicator in Nuchal Fold test??
cal2050 posted:
My wife is 37 and we were 12 weeks 5 days when she had a nuchal fold test test performed last week (ultrasound and blood work). According to the ultrasound technician, the numbers came back in the "normal" range with what I thought was .12 but looking at the normal range it was probably 1.2. My wife received a call today saying that there was some abnormality in the blood work and that the probability was 1 in 219 of having some abnormality.

My question is this, is the ultrasound test, itself, a better indicator of a possible issue of having a child with an abnormality or is the blood work a better indicator? Is there one of the two that more emphasis is placed upon? If so, which one?

Thanks for your time and for the education.

ccgr14 responded:
I'm 41 and I had an ultrasound done at 12 weeks (currently 14 weeks) and an initial blood draw called first look. The ultrasound fell within normal range (0.. The second blood draw will be next week. The genetics counselor explained to us that even though we may have an abnormal first read, there is still a margin of error of about 15% or so. The second draw along with the first draw will be more definitive. However, she was pleased and told us we should be as well that the Nuchal translucency fell well within normal - as yours did. She also explained that these tests have a margin of error because the damaged chromosomes may or may not have divided to form the baby. In some cases a false positive means that the damaged chromosomes divided to form the placenta (which does not affect the baby). A false negative is the reverse, where the damaged chromosomes split to form the baby but the placenta cells are fine. The test measures or tests these cells. Lastly, she told us that it is the COMBINED blood work (since the second draw is a better marker, but still with a smaller margin of error) along with the ultrasound that is taken into account to come up with a statistical probability of whether we are high risk for chromosomal defects. This will in turn help us make the decision whether we will do an amnio later on. An amnio is accurate because it tests the fetal cells and not the placenta cells like the test your wife and I are having done at the moment.
I hope this helps answer your question. However, you may want to talk to a genetics counselor for a more informed answer and options for testing.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

cal2050 replied to ccgr14's response:
Thanks for the response. We ended up meeting with a genetic counselor last Thursday morning and after an hour-and-a-half of asking questions and becoming educated they gave my wife an ultrasound and we lost the baby. I guess we got that call and had that meeting for a reason.

Congratulations and best of luck to you as well!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (37), DH (31), oldest son (13), youngest son (7) and EDD 11/15/10 we've got PINK!!!

Helpful Tips

genetic testing and ultrasounds
to all 35+ moms, I was 38 when I received the fabulous news I was expecting, and 39 upon delivery. my blood work came back elevated and i ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.