Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
newly pregnant
Nsdunn75 posted:
Hello, my name is Nancy and I just took a pregnanct test this morning that came back positive. I am really scared and nervous because this will be my first pregnance and I will be turning 37 in June. Is there anyone that has gone thru a pregnancy at my age, and if so what can I expect??? Thanks so much for your time

phoenix31674 responded:
If you are healthy, the biggest difference is that you will undergo more checks and genetic counseling will play a bigger role. You might get more of a push from your doctor to do an amniocentesis or CVS because genetic defects are more common in mothers over 35, but the risk of having Downs or some other problem is still pretty low for the average mother.

The risk of you developing gestational diabetes does go up, but with proper diet and exercise that can be controlled or prevented.

The biggest thing is that you tire much more quickly than someone at 25 would, but it really depends from person to person on things like that.

I was 36 for my second and it wasn't really any different from being pregnant at 32.

Best of luck to you.

heartversushead responded:
Congrats to you! I am 38 expecting my first. I'm athletic and the Dr. said he doesn't anticipate any problems with my pregnancy. Just take good care of yourself and listen to your body, and I'm sure you and your little one will be fine too! After having had my 1st Sonogram, I can't wait for the NT Scan just so I can see how much mine's grown! Please post when you get to hear the heartbeat for the first time, and keep us posted on your progress!
Again, congrats!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I joined the Webmd board Pregnancy after 35 back in 2007. Unfortunately I did not get to stay but lurked around instead as I had several MCs. Then in ...More

Helpful Tips

A few tips to start
If you?d like to find which board went to which Exchange, then check out Find Your Exchange . You can increase font size by pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 28 found this helpful