Skip to content
Tubal ligation: risks & benefits
Suejoy42 posted:
I'm 42 & planning to have a tubal ligation after the birth of my 3rd child in April. I am insisting on general anesthesia because I don't want the risks of a spinal. How has this surgery worked out for others. I have heard only good comments except for one. Thanks for your input.

marcee816 responded:
I had a tubal ligation February 2010(after my third child) the surgery was done quick, the recovery was longer than expected. I ended up taking a full week off from work. Well here's the BIG kicker, we just found out today that we are expecting again in October!! The failure rate is something like 1 in 700,000 so I guess I will start playing the power ball(we need it) with those odds! Just something for you to think about. Well wishes& Good Luck!!

mls1174 responded:
I was put under for mine back in 98. Went very well no problems at all. I did have them reversed in 2006 to have more kids that also went very well. was pregnant again after just two months. and now again due in July. Have the ends burnt like my sister did and like me I plan to have the whole tube removed and the ends burnt. good luck.

Suejoy42 replied to mls1174's response:
Thank you for your encouraging information! I do have a couple of questions, if you don't mind: I was wondering if you had your tubal postpartum, and if so, did it interfere with breastfeeding? I was also wondering how old you are. I plan to ask the doctor to remove the whole tubes & burn the ends like you suggested. Hopefully, my Medicaid will pay for it!

mls1174 replied to Suejoy42's response:
sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I had them done an hour after I had my baby girl. It didnt interfere with breastfeeding at all. I was 24 at the time. I'm 37 years old now

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

genetic testing and ultrasounds
to all 35+ moms, I was 38 when I received the fabulous news I was expecting, and 39 upon delivery. my blood work came back elevated and i ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.