Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Risk of Down Syndrome
Saba1977 posted:
Hi All,

I am 13 weeks pregnant with my third and turned 35 in December. I had level I u/s today and everything looked normal. I also had NT blood screen last week and got the results today. 1/255 chance of down syndrome. I am shocked.

Please please please don't judge me, but I don't think I have the courage and strength to raise a baby with some health issues. The doctor has given an option to get amniocentesis done, but I am nervous about the (even slight) risk of miscarriage due to the invasiveness of the procedure.

I am a religious person and have a strong faith in HIM. I will keep praying for a healthy baby (even if the third one is also a girl), but I also believe in not sitting back and not trying.

I don't know what are my options at this point. Whether to go with amniocentesis or wait for level II u/s at around 20 weeks? But how conclusive would be the u/s?

Any advices?

kay_kay75 responded:
I say that you should wait till the 20 week u/s, and have faith that even though the tests can "predict" down syndrome it doesn't mean your child will have it.

Remember that HE will not give us more than we can handle, I was 35 with my first, I declined all tests, I told my doctor IF something showed abnormal on the u/s I would have tests going forward but I am very against lots of the testing that the medical community says we should have. I took a very non-invasive approach to my pregnancy, I did the gestational diabetes test, the first I failed but passed the second, I know going forward I will insist on having the 3 hour test and skip the 1 hour test. I am now 37, had my daughter the day I turned 36, I will not have the blood tests again unless there is something that shows up on the u/s.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm in my 40's & trying to conceive. Jesus is my Lord & Savior. Without Him I am NOTHING. I have been married for a over 20 years. We ...More

Helpful Tips

A few tips to start
If you?d like to find which board went to which Exchange, then check out Find Your Exchange . You can increase font size by pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 28 found this helpful