Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pregnant at 39...
An_246640 posted:
I will be 39 next week I have a 12 year old and my boyfriend is 29 with no children. We really want to have a baby. I have always been a very healthy person the only strikes I believe are againtst me are my age and I stress A LOT! My boyfriend is a little over weight, eats pretty unhealthy due to traveling for work, has high blood pressure and he smokes. We have been trying for 2 months now and I am becoming down about it because I feel like I am running out of time. Does anyone have any words suggestions we could try or even just a positive story to give me hope.

AnaB39 responded:
Hi An_24, Is my personal experience, I will be 40 in few weeks and I am 12 weeks pregnant, my husband is a litlle overweight and also w/ high blood pressure, we was triying for couple months living in different cities because work, then when we moved together and I relax, I was pregnant, I have some close friends over 40 and 42 got pregnant, we are in different times, AND you have 10 more eggs than other 39 y.o without kids.... good luck!!

TanyaO92 responded:
Hello! I am going thru this as well! I am 38, with a 10 yr old and a 6 yr old. My boyfriend will be 42 in 2 months with no children.
He was ok with not having any children with his ex wife, because she couldn't have any. Now that we have been together, and he has gotten to know and love my children, we would like to try for another one.
We just started trying this month. I feel the same way about "running out of time". Then articles that we read telling us that with our age our child has a better chance of having defects, or worse, which scares me. But we keep positive! Good Luck! and lets keep in touch and tell our stories!

pixa1313 replied to TanyaO92's response:
This sounds like me too. I am recently remarried. My husband is 40, with no children of his own. He is a healthy weight but smokes heavily and has high blood pressure. I am 35 with a 12 year old and 6 year old. We are trying to have another baby and have been trying for 6 months. Before I always thought that I couldn't even talk on the phone with a man without getting pregnant....it seemed that my previous pregnancies, which were unplanned, the second when I was on the pill, came at times that were difficult. It seems so strange now that I have a great companion, who is a loving father to my children and we are financially secure, we would be having difficulties. Even though our age puts us at risk, I am an RN, and have studied women's health for advanced practice. Even though yes, there is a risk for higher complications and defects, that pertains mostly to woman who are having their first child after the age of 35, not for woman who would be having subsequent pregnancies after 35. That is reassuring.

TanyaO92 replied to pixa1313's response:
Pixa1313 that is reassuring! And to update, we are expecting after only 3 months of trying! 8/2/13 is est due date. First see doc on 12/19. So excited!

pixa1313 replied to TanyaO92's response:
Tanya092 Congrats!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been married for 5 years and am still kinda undecided as to whether I want to have kids or not.I am almost 35.My husband does want to have kids...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!