Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
over 45?
melaniesoden posted:
Hi I am 48 years old and 33 weeks pregnant. Feeling a bit lost as all the other mums-to-be are so much younger. This is baby Nº 5 and we are excited to welcome this new addition. x

heleneclare68 responded:
Enjoy the miracle! I am 43, and very unexpectedly pregnant. I am now 11 weeks and still am in a state of shock. I actually find this to be so funny, that I start giggling when I think about it. People that I have told about my "surprise" are rather impressed that I can get pregnant with not trying at my age. If my odds were 1-2% at age 43, think what your odds were. I say go play the lottery!

Just look at the stats. Women over 40 are the fastest growing age group for US-based OB practices. Women over 40 have the second highest rate of unintended pregnancy, just second narrowly to teenagers. I think that this is partly due to the fact that clinicians and the media have overplayed this hype that fertility declines at 35 and dries up at 40. I bought into this hype myself, and feverishly rushed to have a child at 35. At 40, I thought "it's over." Due to endo and previous fertility issues, I even stopped using any birth control about a year ago. The truth is that women over 40 are still fertile; it's just the odds of us getting pregnant are slim. But, it happens.

I have a daughter in 2nd grade, and the majority of parents are my age or older. There are a small minority of parents in their 20's. The norm is really 30's - 50's. This age trend was evident when was daughter was in day care as well. You're not alone, in fact, I believe that you are in the majority.

An_248382 replied to heleneclare68's response:
I'm 44 just took a test tonight - Positive! we have a 6 yer old and have been trying for that long for #2. Ive had 2 miscarriages but am hopeful. I have been called "Grandma" when out with my 6 yr old cant wait to hear what they say with this one. Ive not met an older mom like me yet, we live in Arizona, I wish I was in a more urban environment I think I would meet more educated older parents.

congratulations to you do you have any updates on how you are doing?

melaniesoden replied to An_248382's response:
CONGRATULATIONS!
Just to briefly update, Tobias Manuel arrived a month early by cesarean and weighed 2.5kg. He was just fine and needed no help with oxygen or the like. He is now 8 weeks old and has doubled his birthweight - I managed to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight in two weeks - lucky me!
I too, have been called grandma, especially when I am with my daughter who 21 but I ignore it. I am just too busy enjoying my latest addition to let anything spoil it. They really do grow up too fast.
The very best of luck to you with your pregnancy, although I am sure everything will be fine.
xxxxxxx

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 35yrs old and have a 19 year old son, five year old son, and a four year old son. All boys, but I always wanted a girl! So one last chance for me...More

Helpful Tips

A few tips to start
If you?d like to find which board went to which Exchange, then check out Find Your Exchange . You can increase font size by pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.