Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Too old to be pregnant?
An_250067 posted:
I'm 45 and a mother of 5, youngest child is 7. I've also got a 5 year old grandchild.

I've just discovered I'm pregnant. Not exactly thrilled as I'd decided 5 was enough and have just started to be slightly independant of my children. After 10 years have just gone back to work as they're all at school.

I have decided to keep the baby though although am very worried about the risks, especially the risks to the baby. As I'm going to be 60 whilst this child is still in its teens and my husband will be in his 70's I don't wont my other children to have to be reponsible for a severely disabled child if I'm not able to look after it. Any advice?

ZebraDivine responded:
Well, the course of treatment for most women our age is as "high risk" and they can run blood tests and do a sonogram to see if your stats indicate that the baby is at a higher risk for down syndrome, etc. If so, you could elect to do an amniocentesis to get a more definitive assessment of the risk. As to you being around for the child, your life expectancy as a woman is into the child's early twenties. Children have lost 25 year old parents to unexpected tragedies. You could realistically be around for this child's 30th birthday.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I joined the Webmd board Pregnancy after 35 back in 2007. Unfortunately I did not get to stay but lurked around instead as I had several MCs. Then in ...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.