Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I am 42 and want to get pregnant
wndyhllr posted:
I have reserves about it because I am scared of Down's Syndrome but this is my second marriage and I have two boys from the first that are 19 and 13. My husband does not have any kids of his own and we would like to have one. I had a tubal ligation and we are getting my tubal reversed so we can get pregnant but my question is what is CVS? I know what Amniocentesis is but I have never heard of CVS. Can someone explain to me. We want so much to conceive so I was wondering how many women can after 40.

perry147 responded:
It all depends on your egg reserve which they can find out with a blood test. CVS is a blood test taken at a certain time during your preg to test for abnormalities and some say it's very accurate to test for downs but amnio is definate. My CVS tests at 41 showed I had a 1 in 689 chance of having a child with downs and when I took the next test a few weeks later it was 1 in 2800. By the way the blood test was just a finger prick. Hope this helps.

tsullivan18 replied to perry147's response:
I am 41 and 14 weeks along. I already have a 20 year old daughter. I had the maternit21 blood test instead of the invasive procedures and i already know there is no chromosomal abnormalities and its a boy! check it out on the web. It is new, and if your insurance won't cover it--i think out of pocket here in michigan in $265. Worth every penny!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 41 and have no previous children. I am a "late-bloomer", marrying for the first time just last October at 40. I got pregnant last Dec. ...More

Helpful Tips

A few tips to start
If you?d like to find which board went to which Exchange, then check out Find Your Exchange . You can increase font size by pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!