Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
POLL: Pregnant over 35?
jturns posted:
Ok, this is a pregnant 35 and over board, but really, how do you women feel about being over 35 and pregnant? For me, its a challenge that I accept with open arms, and God has blessed me and DH with 2 beautiful boys. I never expected to get pregnant in my thirties, thought I was finished after I had my 7 year old. But, the thought of adding a girl to my brood, it makes me cry inside and thank God everyday that he feels I am capable enough to have one of his beautiful children!! How do you ladies feel, let's have a heart to heart on this one. Happy Thursday to all!! Jennifer (36) DH (39) DS 2 Shawn (12) Kirk (7), baby #3 Green Team hoping to go Pink, ETA 9-21-2009. God is good, all of the time.

kirsten1971 responded:
I am 37 and expecting our 1st. I never expected to be starting a family at his age. That being said, I know I'll be a better mom now than when I was 27. DH & I tried for what felt like a long time! Every morning I say a prayer asking that I be at peace with what ever God's plan is for us & every night I thank God for another day He has allowed me to be a steward for thei child inside of me. I enjoy my extra visits with the baby (thats what I call the ultrasounds). I wonderif we will be bless with a second child someday but I really think DH & I will be content to have one child if thats what God wills.

CateG1973 responded:
Other than my irrational fears of having a baby with chromosomal problems (when you look at the stats, those fears are mostly irrational), I am perfectly happy with the way my life has progressed to this point. In fact, I don't see a world in which it could have happened any differently for me. I graduated from undergrad and then got an MBA, I've lived the city life, I've traveled to all ends of the earth (from Europe to Africa to Asia). I've lived in various places (Seattle, London and now Chicago--where I grew up), and have spent time getting to know myself. I've also achieved a certain "status" in the legal journalism world as the editor in chief of a mag at a young age. I took my time with all of these things. So by the time I met my husband (at 31), got married (at 34) and started trying to get pregnant (at 34/35), I felt confident the timing was perfect. How I spent those years before I had Joey has shaped me into the person I want to be for him--educated, cultured, well-traveled, a respected career woman and a balanced opiner . :) Great poll. Thanks for asking.

sheby9201 responded:
DH & I are both 39 and we NEVER thought we'd be here today. We spent the last 13 years doing all the things we both ever wanted to do & achieving many wonderful things. One day we turned aound at the edge of 40 and thought the opportunity to have a child had passed us by. A romantic dinner & some good merlot changed everything for us - LOL! That being said, this is a most joyous and exciting time for us. Of course, I'm anxious over the additional risks that come with being an older mommy, but the thought of holding that precious bundle in a little over 7 months eases my fears.

kelsaifi responded:
My signature tells you that I'm insane. I've done this before and have signed on to do it again. I couldn't be happier. I'm at a much better time in my life and am enjoying it so much more this time around. Wishing you all the best.

_Tania_ responded:
I am 37 and expecting my 3rd child but my other 2 are 17 and 10 so it is a large gap. I get so upset when people ask me if I am crazy or why would I want to have another one? It makes me sad because I know that they don't look at their children through the same eyes I look at mine. When I look at my children my heart swells with adoration and pride and a sense of wonder that amazes me every day. They are my biggest victory and my biggest mystery. They are my reason for living and I can't imagine my life without them. I have learned volumes from them and I know that they have so much more to teach me. When I married my DH and he made it known that he wanted to have a child with me I was overjoyed at the thought. My only concern was if it would be difficult to get pregnant at "my age". Well I can tell you that it wasn't. God new I was ready and thankfully one month after the wedding I got pregnant! I have never had a negative thought about this pregnancy. As a matter of fact it has been so much easier than my first 2 that I am actually able to enjoy being pregnant this time around. Now from everything I went through with my first 2 pregnancies I worry about alot of things but I am able to work, able to exercise and able to live a normal life with this one so I can honestly say that this is the time of my life!!!!!

kerrib1971 responded:
Truthfully, I wanted my children at a young age. I started actively trying at 18. With hubby #2 I went through all the tests and even had an ovarian wedge to try to conceive. I had really given up after I seperated from #3 and figured it just wasn't meant to happen for me. I was 34 and knew all about the "danger" age and was done. I had a gastric bypass before #3 and knew it could possibly help that is one of the reasons we got married. A month after we were married we had him tested and he was sterile, so I didn't really get to test out the bypass or so I thought. I met my husband now and within a month of sleeping with him I was pregnant! I was in the process of donating a kidney to a coworkers husband and the timing was not ideal at all, but I certainly wouldn't change it for the world. My daughter is basically the center of my whole world. I never knew I could love as much as I do her and I feel I am much more settled and centered at this point in my life. I think she probably has a better mommy now than I would have been at 18 for sure. I guess all in all it was out of my hands, but I have been truly blessed with Kendyl and now again with Kaitlyn.

MontanaMama2008 responded:
Hi, Jennifer :wink: Congratulations to you! I, too, thought I was done at age 28. I have a 13yod, a 9yod, and now an 8mod. I was so hoping for a little boy this time...LOL Shen popped out a beautiful little girl :sillygrin: I found that being pg in my 20s was far easier on my body. Being pg at 36 was far more difficult than I'd expected, but a joy, nonetheless. I think you need to rest up more, stay focused and relaxed, and stay in tune with what your body is telling you. You're right, God is so good, isn't He? Kim

TracySTB responded:
Well, when I was younger I never wanted a baby till I was 30- my mother said she had me at 28 and it was too young lol. Didn't realise the health effects, of course, when we were discussing like age meant nothing. Not that it would have mattered, the guy I wanted to marry disappeared (and good riddance) so I didn't have another potential husband till I was 32. (and shh... never had any desire for kids till age 26. Then suddenly HUGE desire for them. Took 7 years but it was worth it!) Anyway, I felt EXTREMELY blessed to be able to get pregnant easily and be healthy and have 3 wonderful children. And a little guilty for waiting so long. But not that guilty :-). I will jsut have to stay healthier a decade or so longer than people who start having kids in their early 20s. I can do that! (so I can spend more time watching them graduate and hopefully have grandkids!) Fortunately, my doctor told me my risks in a relaxed and non-scary way. He didn't particularly care- I think his wife had her last around 35-ish too. Some doctors can make you feel like a leper, but not him. I'd talk about being AMA and he'd be like "you are way healthier than so many (most) women I see and anyway, I'm older than you" and I'd realise how lucky I was.

sliderswife responded:
we pretty much put it Gods hands. We got married a little over 2 yrs ago and thought if its gonna happen it will? I had just heard from my dr after some issues in Dec/ Jan that he thought it would almost impossible. Im glad he was wrong. I had the boys when I was younger and I think I am in a better place now. I almost feel guilty that the boys didnt have thie same benefits and advantages as this one will, but they turned out good people and hard workers so maybe it was a benefit? I feel completely blessed to be given this gift even if it wasnt really expected. lol

seeit2 responded:
I had my first a month before I turned 36 and this next one will be born when I am 39. I really never wanted kids of my own - I worked with young children for a decade and I loved every minute of it, and I loved going home to my quiet house! I did life right in my 20s and enjoyed it all, got a Masters and travelled, but at 34 DH and I decided we were ready for something more. It took a lot to get pg with this one and we are crossing our fingers for a successful delivery, but I don't regret a single thing.

fashionmomma responded:
I am already 44 and this is my 3rd baby...but first with my 2nd husband (hoping he will be the last). For me this is a blessing and I know that this is God's will. There will be challenges for sure, but I know with prayers, everything will be OK!

jsnow09 responded:
I am 38 and 10 weeks. went off the pill about a year ago and thought we would just "see what happens". I will be 39 at due date of 10-16-09. Kinda freaked out by all the gloom and doom stories but so far I feel great so am hoping that is a good sign. this is our first.

LuV4Autumn responded:
Age is just a number. I wasn't treated any differently due to age by my OB. She's even said I am the norm now and most women are having their babies now. I almost had a complete hystertctomy in my early 20's due to medical issues and was told I'd never have children. Last year, another recommendation for a hysterectomy... I Thank God each and every day I didn't listen to the medical community and "AMA" hype!!!!! I'm not saying I didn't/haven't had my fears.... but every second was worth this beautiful little girl I'm holding right now... EVEN the family drama & fact she's filling her pants RIGHT NOW. Ha. Oh, I've been an advocate for children my entire life and started caring for babies at 12...

katsofkats responded:
I like the most of you never thought of getting pregnant in my thirties. I had my first daughter when I was 25 and loved every minute of it even though I was single. The father skipped town to be with another woman he had gotten pregnant. It was the best thing he ever did for me, even though at the time I was crushed. I raised my daughter for 4 years by myself with no help from him. After being alone for 5 years I met my husband Larry. We tried for 3 years to get pregnant with no success, and during a rough patch between us, I found out that I was pregnant. We had a beautiful little girl in 2007. Now 2 years later we are expecting our second child together. I am 35 years old and a little scared because of all the tests I have to go through. I thought it would be the same as my other 2 pregnancies, but boy I was wrong. I have never been poked as much in my life. Taking blood here and taking blood there. I just had my 20 week ultrasound and I have to go back because they didn't get all the pictures they needed. I was told that I got a blood spot on my placenta by the doctor and was told not to worry about it. It still scares me because no explanation was given. Guess I will find out when I go back. Kudo's to all the women that are pregnant, enjoy every minute of it because it doesn't last forever. Kathy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm in my 40's & trying to conceive. Jesus is my Lord & Savior. Without Him I am NOTHING. I have been married for a over 20 years. We ...More

Helpful Tips

A few tips to start
If you?d like to find which board went to which Exchange, then check out Find Your Exchange . You can increase font size by pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.